Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
DorkFish said:
Very nice, but I doubt it's actually a dog. My guess would be a wolf maybe.
For Mississippian pottery, he may be correct with dog. Many natives had domesticated dogs and held them in high esteem. The Quapaw were probably the most notable for it. They thought very highly of their pooches and revered them by portraying them often in their ceramics on a regular basis.

Although, it also could be a bear.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neanderthal said:
DorkFish said:
For Mississippian pottery, he may be correct with dog. Many natives had domesticated dogs and held them in high esteem. The Quapaw were probably the most notable for it. They thought very highly of their pooches and revered them by portraying them often in their ceramics on a regular basis.

Thanks Neanderthal. I didn't know that. That's why I didn't figure it to be a dog.

S

seger98

DorkFish said:
Neanderthal said:
DorkFish said:

Thanks Neanderthal. I didn't know that. That's why I didn't figure it to be a dog.

I never had heard of that either that any group had domesticated dogs, interesting info...

Nice find jmfg222.

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
very cool find! i know of a cody kill-site in colorado that produced bones of a domesticated dog. they have been around a long-time.

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
Google "koster site dog burials" Those guys (early archaic) buried their dogs among people. I think every group in the world had dogs by 10000 bp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread