Dog Tags and First Indian

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While hunting a drained lake, I finally found my first Indian Head Penny, an 1898. I also dug an older military dog tag, and to my surprise a second dog tag. The usual junk goes into my scrap. I had to scrape away the snow and after breaking through a layer of crusty frozen sand the digging was not too bad. The sun brought the temps up and it was a great day to be out in December.

I didn't find any definative information on the servicemen since their names are more common, but do feel the older tag is from WWII or the Korean conflict eras, the other probably lost in the last 2 years since it was so clean. Frederick may have been at Pearl Harbor.

Merry Christmas and good luck hunting.
Cindy
Cindy

Attachments

• Dog tags 1898 Indian 12-10-11.jpg
    Dog tags 1898 Indian 12-10-11.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 964
  • Dog Tags 1898 Indian reverse 12-10-11.jpg
    Dog Tags 1898 Indian reverse 12-10-11.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 999
  • 1898 Indian Head Penny.jpg
    1898 Indian Head Penny.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 979
  • 1898 Indian Head Penny reverse.jpg
    1898 Indian Head Penny reverse.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 12-10-11 scrap finds.jpg
    12-10-11 scrap finds.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,020
Upvote 0
OP
OP
seychik

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mackaydon said:
Can you write out the letters/number you see on each tag?
Thanks,
Don........

Older:
SIMONS, FREDERICK T
RA 17433002
T-55 O

C

Newer:
COFFIN,
C. Y.
352 44 86 37 O
USMC M
PRESBY

Thanks Don, I know you like to research.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
T-55 is the year of his tetanus shot (1955). Simon's serial number (beginning with the numbers '17') corresponds to 7th Corps: MO, KS, MB, CO, IA, MN, ND, SD, and WY. Since you are in Colorado, that's maybe a step closer to finding out who this soldier was/is. I'll keep looking.
Blood type 'O'; religious preference: Catholic.
Don.......

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got that Indian off your back!
This woman has found Shield Nickels, Standing Quarters, and gold rings by the handful,
but took forever to find a lone Indian.
The people at this site can track down almost anything,
except the occasional car key loss.
Or wife, wallet.
Kudos,
Carl

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Army seven digit serial numbers were used up into 1971 (through about the number 2,700,000); thereafter nine digit serial numbers--corresponding to one's social security number--were used from 1971 onward. Ergo, your second tag is after 1970 as you surmised.

The notch was designed to hold the tag in place when being imprinted on the carbon-paper medical form by the Model 70 Addressograph (a pistol-type imprinting machine first used by the Medical Department during World War II). When I served, we understood the notch had another meaning--that turned out to be a myth.
Don...

OP
OP
seychik

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info Don. I couldn't find the tag's owners with internet searching so I'm sending for info from the Veterans Office.

Carl, thanks for your kind words. Now need a new goal, since the Indian has arrived. I'm thinking gold, coin or any other form.
Cindy

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cindy,
You might consider talking to your local VFW and American Legion post commanders and ask them for assistance. That GI may have lived very close to where that (upper) tag was found. Again, the beginning two serial numbers, "17" designate the possibility of a Colorado draftee or enlistee.
Don....

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool finds!

All the best,

Lanny

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt!!! congrats!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
seychik

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: Letter to the Federal Veterans Affairs Denver Regional Office found:

Frederick T Simons: Cannot ID

C Y Coffin: Your contact info forwarded for his response if desired.

Shortly after receiving that response letter, I had a message on my answering machine from someone named Sara regarding Mr Coffin's tag.

I called her back and she said her father's attorney forwarded my info to her as her father had died. She was very glad she could get his dog tag.

Mr Coffin was born near Chicago on Sept 9, 1952 and died Oct 9, 2010. He grew up outside Chicago and loved the west. He lived in AZ, CA and OR, but as far as his daughter knew he was never in Denver (where I found his dog tag). He joined the Marines around age 18 and served during the Viet Nam era. I figured he was in Denver before he was married.

I ask Sara if she minded if I showed her father's tag at my metal detecting club before I returned it. She was happy to have me do so. My club was glad to see the tag and know it was going to the daughter. I will send it out tomorrow.

Glad I found a special piece of history and can get to someone who will deeply cherish having it.
Cindy

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cindy,
Well done !!
Honorable Mention recommendation for sure.
Now you have given some closure and the recall of great memories of her father to this daughter.
And as for those of us on Tnet and elsewhere who are Viet Nam era vets, I, for one, salute you.
You made my day.
Don.........

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seychik, Well Done!! you have enriched a Lady's life concerning her father, And Put a very large feather the the metal detecting community's cap. Well done and congrats on your finds HH

OP
OP
seychik

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update Number 2:

A friend of mine, Jimmy, called me saying he found a military dog tag at the same location I found mine about 50 feet from where I dug mine. His tag said C Y Coffin. I gave him Sara's info. When I talked to her months ago, she said she and her brother did not have anything from their dad. So now with Jimmy set to return the second tag, we are hoping the brother gets it.
Cindy

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cool, first Indian? Mine was an 1887. My second a 1902. The first was much like yours, pretty corroded. Mine was hardly readable. The 1902 was in very good shape, Liberty and all. GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread