Dog Tags found in Italian battlefield

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Our local newspaper, "The Facts",carried this article this morning, I couldn't find the story in the internet so I will type what was written.
US Vet's dog tags found on old Italian battlefield.

BUDA- "A retired police inspector's newly acquired metal detecting hobby helped him find dog tags and other items belonging to a Texas World War II veteran who was wounded on an Italian battlefield.
Oscar Glomb served with the 36th Infantry Division and landed at the Bay of Salerno in 1943. He was wounded in a June 1944 battle near Gavorrano. Glomb died in 1998. His son says he never forgot about his dog tags.
Retired Italian police inspector Daniele Bianchini found the tags, a ring and a medallion while practicing his hew hobby on the old battlefield. Bianchini asked to keep one of the tags and sent the rest of the items to Glomb's family in Texas. Glomb's 85 year old wife, Dorothy, calls it a miracle to have the items back and says the family is thankful."

I thought this story was worthy of sharing with you guys, another job well done by a detectorist. HH John

Upvote 0

Digz

Jan 5, 2009
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
BH P202
OP
OP
TexasDigger1

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Hey Digz,
That was very interesting reading, thanks for finding that and sharing. HH John

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding story! God bless the remaining WW2 vets! My wife's grandfather is still alive and went from Dday through the bulge where he got severe frost bite and was sent to the hospital. He still has his dog tags with a 1924 piece dollar that he put on the chain before he went to Europe. The dollar is worn smooth and he said it was like new when he put it on there in 1942 and has not worn his dog tags since 1945.
He has some neat stories but he is so hard of hearing that holding a conversation is hard to do..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread