Dog tax tag

Salt4wa

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2005
Winter is finally over (I hope) in this part of Michigan. I got out Monday for the first time this year that I didn't have to chop into frozen ground.
I hunted at an old township hall site - the buildings were removed about 25 years ago. I'm sure the site has been hunted many times before (I hit it twice in the past few years) and really didn't expect to find much. In about 1 hr I found misc junk (cans, pop tops, caps, etc. . . ) and a few clad coins. I was almost back to my car when I hit a target by an old foundation. I thought I might as well dig and found a dog tax tag dated 1917. I hunted some more and found 4 more in an area about 10 by 10. Three of the numbers are consecutive, so I'm sure none of these were ever issued.
Maybe this area deserves a more thorough search?

Attachments

• 3-28a-05adetect.jpg
    3-28a-05adetect.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool finds, and welcome to the forum! You always find the best stuff right when you are about to leave, or so it seems to most MDers. HH!

Fox

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Neat Finds!
Are the "Tax Tags" different then the regular "Licence Tags" of today ???
Not sure if Indiana ever had a dog tax. but I have yet to find either...

F

Floater

Great Finds Salt. I would definitely give that area the once over again.Plus the Tax tags are collectible and if those were never issued maybe the are rarer or worth more. I think on the boards here or on Treasure Depot I saw some info on it. If I run across it I will Pm you with it. Sorry Jeff of PA I didn't mean to mention the TD word. LOL

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Is it possible the owner registered three dogs in at one time?Just my guess.Finding 3 tags in the same area is pretty cool to me .
check the area again u never know.H/H Randy

OP
OP
S

Salt4wa

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2005
Leon said:
Neat Finds!
Are the "Tax Tags" different then the regular "Licence Tags" of today? ???
Not sure if Indiana ever had a dog tax. but I have yet to find either...

In 1917, the township taxed each dog you owned. The tag was made from copper. It was similar to todays dog license, however, it is the county that now issues the license - not the township - and the tags are aluminum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions