• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 540

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Another neat post Fossis,

Too bad you didn't get a picture of the otters. I got a blurred picture of three otters a few years ago. They came shooting past me going downstream in a fast moving stream. I lost the picture when my last computer crashed. Pic was no good anyway.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Nice pics! Where's the signature rifle? :D

Thanks, I actually didn't have it this time, i was close to the main road, so felt safer. :P

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ronwoodcraft said:
Another neat post Fossis,

Too bad you didn't get a picture of the otters. I got a blurred picture of three otters a few years ago. They came shooting past me going downstream in a fast moving stream. I lost the picture when my last computer crashed. Pic was no good anyway.

Yeah too bad, I was looking in the rocks & gravel for arrowheads or herkimers, & didn't see them in time.
A few years ago I watched two otters feeding, they take turns diving, then bring their fish out on a log to eat it.

Fossis..........

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look like a quiet area to get away from the "rat race". You could sit quietly a little ways away from the stream and maybe those otters just might come your way. They are always moving about looking for food or to play. Nice pictures. Are these woods private property or public? Old digger.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought herkimers were from NY? are herkimers just double pointed rock crystals? for some reason I thought they were a different mineral comp

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger said:
Look like a quiet area to get away from the "rat race". You could sit quietly a little ways away from the stream and maybe those otters just might come your way. They are always moving about looking for food or to play. Nice pictures. Are these woods private property or public? Old digger.

Thanks, the Ouachita National Forest has 1.8 million acres of land, used for timber, wildlife management, & recreation, there are 223 miles of hiking trails, some mountain biking in some areas, atv camp at (Wolf Pen Gap) SE of Mena Ar.
80 % of the forest land is in Ar, the other 20 % in Ok.
There are horseback riding trails at Cedar lake in Leflore co Ok, wildlife management areas in several places.
Then there are thousands more acres of Corp of Engineer land, that has old house places, (foundations & wells), but no detecting allowed on either place, but a great place to hike, hunt, take pic's, & just relax, & all just about 30 minutes away from my house.

:icon_sunny: Fossis..........

:icon_sunny: Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
I always thought herkimers were from NY? are herkimers just double pointed rock crystals? for some reason I thought they were a different mineral comp

They are named for the Herkimers in N.Y., & yes, they are just double pointed crystals, we have some 'tabular', in Ok that are flat, & some have water in air bubbles that move around inside.
Just north of where we dug at Hot Springs, we found around 300 one time, some a half inch long.

Fossis........

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I think "just" was the wrong word for me to use. if I find a double terminated u can hear me hooting in the next state. I've only found 3 in 10 yrs of digging. 300??!! that's amazing & awesome. it would be interesting to do a test on the wter inside the crystal to see what is in it. I wonder if there is any way to determine age from the water. gosh you've got my mind going now. but I would never be able to destroy such a treasure to see the chemical make up of it.
as always your pix are wonderful. thanx Fossis

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
I think "just" was the wrong word for me to use. if I find a double terminated u can hear me hooting in the next state. I've only found 3 in 10 yrs of digging. 300??!! that's amazing & awesome. it would be interesting to do a test on the wter inside the crystal to see what is in it. I wonder if there is any way to determine age from the water. gosh you've got my mind going now. but I would never be able to destroy such a treasure to see the chemical make up of it.
as always your pix are wonderful. thanx Fossis

My friend's Son was with a college field trip near Jessieville when they found the Herkimers, people had just discarded them while digging for crystals, they even left pieces of carpet for us to kneel on while sifting the ground. :laughing7:
I had a water crystal stored in a barn, & when I brought it into the house & held it up to the light to see the water move, a drop fell on my face, one section had cracked open from freezing, but I still have one bubble. :icon_scratch:

Fossis............

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know you guys had Otters up in Oklahoma :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
I didn't know you guys had Otters up in Oklahoma :icon_scratch:

Yeah, the population has really increased since they started 'reintroducing them' a few years ago, now we see them quite often.

Fossis...............

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just answered my question, Fossis. Otters are native to Oklahoma, but they were just about trapped out of existence. I had heard about a reintroduction program, but nothin else. Sounds like it worked, which is cool. Camped at Cedar Lake in 68 with my grandparents.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
re-introduced them to MO also & now we have a thriving population. the also re-intro'd elk last yr, but I saw one a yr before that. elk are not hard to distinguish from deer. farmers don't like it, but I do. there has to be a balance.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
You just answered my question, Fossis. Otters are native to Oklahoma, but they were just about trapped out of existence. I had heard about a reintroduction program, but nothin else. Sounds like it worked, which is cool. Camped at Cedar Lake in 68 with my grandparents.

A lot of the fishermen want to shoot all they see, because they eat so many fish, but they are part of the wildlife balance, so I don't bother them.
Maybe if they 'cleaned out my pond' of fish, I might not be so tolerant. :P

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
re-introduced them to MO also & now we have a thriving population. the also re-intro'd elk last yr, but I saw one a yr before that. elk are not hard to distinguish from deer. farmers don't like it, but I do. there has to be a balance.

They tried to introduce Elk here in Eastern Ok, but poachers cleaned them out very quick, but up in the Ozarks in Ar, they are doing quite well.
They were 'native' to Eastern Ok & Ar, but the early settlers killed them all off, including the 'woodland buffalo', the last buffalo in Ar were killed by 'caguns' from La, in the Southern part of the state.

Fossis.................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread