Upvote 0

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is not much to find except some varieties of SBAs.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So I got a box of dollar coins. What is possibly valuable? What should I be looking for? Just silver? cos there is none of that..
Is it a good idea to make up sets of presidents in order to sell in books?
All I see is presidents and sacagewea
Some of the rolls are labeled with someones name. does this mean someone already looked through them?

To answer your questions in order:

NIFCs, proofs, and near date SBAs (although if making a profit is what you are trying to do, there won't be much money to be made). There will be no silver in small dollar coins.

It would probably take you awhile to setup books with each date and mintmark and you probably wouldn't clear much past FV to make it worthwhile.

That's all that could be in there (including Susan B. Anthony dollars).

Not necessarily. They could be from someone's collection.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Best I ever did with the small dollar coins were some mint rolled ones that I picked up. I sold them on ebay for twice face value. There are a few that are kinda rare but you need full unopened original rolls to make much money and even then it isn't much. You might make some money if you can find some from the last year or so as they are no longer distributed to banks and have a smaller mintage. You also could get an error coin or two which are fun. You will make a teller happy if you take all their dollar coins and that might pay off in the long run.

Maine_Jim

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should do some research on type's and errors. Get yourself a "Cherry Pickers Guide Book". Good money can be made on SBA dollars..!! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
H

HunterJill

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the responses!
Well I did have fun looking at 925 of these, but now I have to get rid of them!!!
Thanks for all of the advise. My bank has ordered me a box for next Wednesday of half dollars. She said the minimum was 3,000. I did not ask whether she meant 3,000 dollars of coins or 3,000 coins. I guess I will find out next Wednesday!! Now all I need is a bottle of wine and I can start searching.
How fun!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the responses!
Well I did have fun looking at 925 of these, but now I have to get rid of them!!!
Thanks for all of the advise. My bank has ordered me a box for next Wednesday of half dollars. She said the minimum was 3,000. I did not ask whether she meant 3,000 dollars of coins or 3,000 coins. I guess I will find out next Wednesday!! Now all I need is a bottle of wine and I can start searching.
How fun!

Welcome to the madness! I recently bought a sealed box of small dollars from a bank that accidentally ordered them. It was a $1,000 box with 40x $25 rolls. I have to admit, It was fun searching through them even though I only got one proof. I might try them again.

And if your bank has a minimum order of 3000 in halves (that's a good bank! ) expect to get 6x $500 boxes. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread