Dom Republic Wreck

gringodoc

Apr 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a wreck in the Dom Republic there are about 30 cannons Ive heard of. Ive seen some of them, smaller size iron guns. The only artifacts Ive seen other than that are some pewter spoons, Im thinking early 18th century. Does anyone think its worth investigating? The friend of my friend found it, and he wont say where it is, but I think I could persuade him. Hes asking about 750 each for the cannons. Im thinking that 30 cannons mustve been guarding something.

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi Gringodoc,

Sorry, do not take it personally, but content of your post seems to me a little strange.....As many from this wonderful Forum know, I live and work in the Dominican republic as a marine archaeologist for more than one decade already, I have been working with some treasure hunting and salvage companies here in the past and in the present and I humbly think that after 12 years here working in this field I have certain knowlege about the shipwrecks in the Dominican waters. By the way, any shipwreck, and not only that one with 30 cannons and other artifacts, is worth deep exploration and investigation.

First....You wrote that you have heard of a wreck with about 30 cannons. Then you state that you saw some of them. Did you see them in person or on video or on a photo? Did your friend take them out of the water for you to see them? Let me also tell you right now that your friend cannot ask anything for these cannons from the simple reason - any shipwreck in the Dominican waters belongs or to the Dominican Republic or to a salvage company if this shipwreck is in their lease area specified in the contract with the Dominican government and even after that, 50% from all these artifacts from that shipwreck belong again to the DR. It is strongly forbidden to take out any artifacts from any shipwreck and if your friend tries to do it, tell him to abandon that idea as soon as possible, otherwise he risks prison and huge fines. If he would notice his discovery to the respective salvage company (the majority of the territory of Dominican waters is divided among foreign salvage companies already, so I suppose that it is this case) that operates in respective area, he can generally get some reward, he could be allowed to participate in the excavation and his name could be officially mentioned as well. Iron cannon is not too much value generally itself, but it can be used for further identification of the shipwreck. By the way, pewter spoons do not mean 18th century. Recently we found pewter plates and part of the pewter cuttlery dated 16th century (also in Dominican waters).

Just a question - Do you live in the DR?

Regards,
Bobadilla

OP
OP
G

gringodoc

Apr 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gringodoc,

Sorry, do not take it personally, but content of your post seems to me a little strange.....As many from this wonderful Forum know, I live and work in the Dominican republic as a marine archaeologist for more than one decade already, I have been working with some treasure hunting and salvage companies here in the past and in the present and I humbly think that after 12 years here working in this field I have certain knowlege about the shipwrecks in the Dominican waters. By the way, any shipwreck, and not only that one with 30 cannons and other artifacts, is worth deep exploration and investigation.

First....You wrote that you have heard of a wreck with about 30 cannons. Then you state that you saw some of them. Did you see them in person or on video or on a photo? Did your friend take them out of the water for you to see them? Let me also tell you right now that your friend cannot ask anything for these cannons from the simple reason - any shipwreck in the Dominican waters belongs or to the Dominican Republic or to a salvage company if this shipwreck is in their lease area specified in the contract with the Dominican government and even after that, 50% from all these artifacts from that shipwreck belong again to the DR. It is strongly forbidden to take out any artifacts from any shipwreck and if your friend tries to do it, tell him to abandon that idea as soon as possible, otherwise he risks prison and huge fines. If he would notice his discovery to the respective salvage company (the majority of the territory of Dominican waters is divided among foreign salvage companies already, so I suppose that it is this case) that operates in respective area, he can generally get some reward, he could be allowed to participate in the excavation and his name could be officially mentioned as well. Iron cannon is not too much value generally itself, but it can be used for further identification of the shipwreck. By the way, pewter spoons do not mean 18th century. Recently we found pewter plates and part of the pewter cuttlery dated 16th century (also in Dominican waters).

Just a question - Do you live in the DR?

Regards,
Bobadilla

Thanks for the quick and informative response. Please forgive me for my naivety as I have no knowledge of any sort of salvage operations, just a very genuine interest in history. I have seen myself the cannons, have held some of the spoons. I asked about buying some of the cannon the other day and was told through the coconut telegraph that there are 30 more for 30000 pesos each. As far as the legalities go, yeah I figured that the Dominican Govt would want half. My friend is really well connected politically and in the DR that is what makes the world go round.

I lived in the dominican Republic for 7 years and just moved back, but go back and forth still, I was there last week, saw the stuff with my own eyes. I know for sure no salvage company knows about this wreck. I have heard of other shipwrecks, but this is the only one Ive seen proof of. The DR is so chock full of Archealogical sites that no one knows about on land its ridiculous, so I dont doubt at all that there are more wrecks to be found. My wife is from la vega and on her grandmothers land there is so much Taino stuff they dont know what to do with it. At the local museum there is a watchyman that has monedas from the 1490s and hes selling them for 500 pesos each.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your user name reminds me of a gringodoc I met in DR a few years ago. The oficina de patrimonio cultural subacutico stopped pulling cannons out of the water many years ago because they don't have the space in the conservation lab nor nowhere to put them after conservation so they have been left on site. Just because the cannons are there it doesnt mean they don't know about it. In fact there are many sites in the DR full of cannons. How ever it is illegal to remove any artifacts from a shipwreck in DR waters with out the proper permits. And yes we all know of stories like the one of watchyman and its really a shame these artifacts belong on a museum...1490s coins these could be from one of Colon's trips...

Hola Compadre, Saludos!!!!!

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello Gringodoc,

I am having problems with my computer and I was just trying to sent you PM this morning. Did you get it?

Chagy,

My dear friend and compadre, how is goping everything with you and Lucy? When you come down here again, though just for a weekend? I would really love to see you again. There is so much to talk about......

Best regards,
Lobo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread