Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone, has anyone ever gone to the Dominican to metal detect? I am going to Punta Cana during April vacation (I love being a teacher!) and I am certainly bringing my Excal. Is there anything I should be aware of? Any travel tips with the machine? If I do have some luck down there are there any laws that I should be aware of? What about customs getting out?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ross

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck:coins::gold-bracelet::treasurechest:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched the forum and found a member in the Dominican Republic looking for a partner ( Looking for a hunting partner in Dominican Republic. (Mar 04, 2008) )...

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Hey Ross...when are you going?? I'll be there April 19 to 26 and am planning to take my detector too!

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
There shouldn't be any problem. Corruption is a common problem though, as in all latin american countries (I lived in Punta Cana for 8 years). Don't let anybody at the airport tell you you have to pay extra for anything.
I would recommend disassembling the detector and pack it in the hand luggage.
There are some videos on youtube about metal detecting at Punta Cana.
Every resort has security guards on the beach. Don't be affraid, they are there to protect the tourists from too many vendors, prostitutes and criminals. You're perfectly safe there, don't worry.
There are lots of watersports activities and boats can travel only in a relatively narrow channel between beach and reef. So there is a lot of boat traffic close to the beach during the day. Stay within the marked swimming areas. In the evenings around 5 pm most boats will be taken out of the water. Then it could be worth a try detecting the part of the beach where people get on and off the boats during the day (usually that's right in front of the watersports center). They lose everything you could imagine. The dominican beach boys and hotel staff are curious but friendly, you might become friends with some of them. Especially the guys working in the watersports centers usually know good spots where to find lost things in the water or where a tourist had lost jewelry.
Most of them know a canadian detectorist who's been living there for years.
Be careful with the stingrays. They are everywhere, even in the shallow water and swim zones. Don't step on them.
Some people might tell you they saw a sea snake. There are no sea snakes but snake eels. Completely harmless.
Have a good trip and enjoy your vacation! Looking forward to see the posts with your finds. Good luck and happy hunting

Chris

OP
OP
Fenway

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great tips Wrecker, thanks a lot. I really appreciate that. :icon_thumright:

Debby, I will be there from April 15-21. Maybe I'll see you on the beach. :icon_thumleft:

Ross

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions