Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't clean your coins with KABOOM!

I saw an ad on TV recently about a cleaning product called KABOOM. It shows a guy dipping an old copper penny in it and it comes out shiney and clean. I was going through my clad I have found and noticed my wife had ordered a bottle of that KABOOM and thought well....what the heck, why not clean my coins with it? After wiping a few off with the product and seeing pretty good results, I poured some into an old coffee can and tossed a handful of clad coins in to soak. After about an hour I went to take them out and found that the coins had all turned black! I tried wiping them off one at a time and found that now the silver colored change had a nice copper patina. The pennies nearly dissolved in just that short time! Live and learn I guess, but if you have any KABOOM on hand, use it in the shower and don't try it on your coins. Luckily I didn't have any coins of value or I would be crying now.

Upvote 0

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Re: Don't clean your coins with KABOOM!

good thing you tried it on clads.That would of been very upsetting on some nice silver coins.Thanks for the heads up.

bigrig

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va

hmmm clean my stuff with a product called kaboom
sounds like it made your clad go

KABOOM!!!!!

mav

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The product has no odor to speak of and it didn't hurt my hands. It's advertised as not needing to wear rubber gloves. I don't know what's in it but it does work extremely well in my poorly ventilated bathroom. Just don't use it on copper based coins!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Kaboom is a spin off of Oxy Clean....same dumb guy advertising it......I've used it on laundry and it acts like a bleach on some items.....

It's very good for removing skunk odors ;D It kinda acts like baking soda.....

D

Darod

Thanks for the heads up on the Kaboom.

Scratch that one off the list :)

Rod

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread