Dont dis the Wheaties

B

Bev

Don't dis the Wheaties

Went on a hunt yesterday with some friends in the woods. I did a little detecting, bottle digging and just plain exploring and was sad when the sun and the temps went down.
I ended up near a large tree and got a good signal. 6 inches down I pulled out and "I dunno". After wiping it off and peering at it with no glasses I realized it was a penny. Out here? Way out here? A crummy penny? Well, alright. It's a coin. "Thank you for the coin" I said out loud to whoever was listening. A minute later I pulled out another in the same hole. Ok... Thank you... then in the same hole I got a V nickel!
This morning I cleaned them off with a Q-Tip and had a nice surprise. The V nickel is 1901 - One penny is 1911 and the other is 1918! Very very nice. I think I'm going to try that linseed oil that talked about in Indian Head Penny posted earlier!
I also included a curious little piece of plate uncovered. If it's recognized I'd love to know more!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 834
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 892
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 881
Upvote 0

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Don't dis the Wheaties

WTg :thumbsup:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Bev,Best thing about woods hunting is the ground not being frozen,have at it till the snow gets to deep!!Nice V nickle and wheats!! God Bless Chris

digsomemore

Oct 12, 2011
south carolina
Detector(s) used
White's classic SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds some times finding a penny is a good thing I know I dig a lot of trash lol HH

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good finds! I have only had the pleasure of digging one V nickel in 5 years. I think mine was a 1912. Great finds!

OP
OP
B

Bev

Thanks guys! Sometimes after a few hours of trash, a penny seems like gold! It just tells me there is more out there just waiting for me!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good find on that V-nick. those are one of my favorite finds :thumbsup:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice hunt Bev! nothing suprises me anymore in this hobby.what a cool piece of porcelin! :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Those finds would put a smile on my face! Cool plate fragment!

Just some Guy

Dec 28, 2011
Ukiah CA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, Whites 6000 DIPro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great finds!!! :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting,

Dan

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds. Love the china piece!!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never dis the Wheaties, I liken them to buying scratch tickets.
I've managed two 1909-S VDB's, (both horribly ground damaged),
and a beautiful 1914-D, which I managed to slash Lincoln's neck with my digging tool.
But they partially managed to fill the void in my heart as well as a couple slots in the old coin folder.
Great hunt!
Nice V!
Carl

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

remember this --anywhere one finds wheat cents --theres a excellent chance of finding silver coins too--because the last wheat cents were minted in 1958 and the 90% silver , dimes and quarters and halves lasted until 1964 (6 years after they stopped making wheat cents ) SO FOLKS THAT HAD WHEAT CENTS IN THEIR POCKETS WERE TOTING SILVER COINS AROUND AS WELL FOR "POCKET CHANGE"-----and anywhere they was v nickles and old pre 1920 wheat cents you might even possibly find a gold coin * as gold coins where around in that time frame * NOT COMMONLY CARRIED DUE TO THEIR HIGH VALUE ( A DOLLAR WAS A DAYS WAGES) BUT THERES A CHANCE , WHO KNOWS? --so your right NEVER DIS DA WHEATIES.

OP
OP
B

Bev

ivan salis said:
remember this --anywhere one finds wheat cents --theres a excellent chance of finding silver coins too--because the last wheat cents were minted in 1958 and the 90% silver , dimes and quarters and halves lasted until 1964 (6 years after they stopped making wheat cents ) SO FOLKS THAT HAD WHEAT CENTS IN THEIR POCKETS WERE TOTING SILVER COINS AROUND AS WELL FOR "POCKET CHANGE"-----and anywhere they was v nickles and old pre 1920 wheat cents you might even possibly find a gold coin * as gold coins where around in that time frame * NOT COMMONLY CARRIED DUE TO THEIR HIGH VALUE ( A DOLLAR WAS A DAYS WAGES) BUT THERES A CHANCE , WHO KNOWS? --so your right NEVER DIS DA WHEATIES.

I like it- and I do try to keep it in mind- I would love to find one of these big silvers that have been hiding from me! I do have a few barbers and mercs though which bring a smile to my face!

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds. Not too bad of a V there! :hello2:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bev, if you are going to soak your wheats in Linseed oil, keep in mind there are two types, "raw" and "boiled". Boiled Linseed oil contains solvents.

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Neat pottery shard! That would look great in a shadow box with all your other nice finds from that spot.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bev, I usually don't care much for Wheaties,

But I like yours. Congrats on the V nickel.

Be careful with that shovel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread