Dont eat Margarine!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pass The Butter .. Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it?

They have come out with some clever new flavorings..

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!
* Both have the same amount of calories.
* Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.
* Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.
* Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
* Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!
* Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.
* Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..
* Very High in Trans fatty acids.
* Triples risk of coronary heart disease.
* Increases total cholesterol and LDL (the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
* Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..
* Lowers quality of breast milk.
* Decreases immune response.
* Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT
These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance) .

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:
* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)
* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

GG~

M

miser

Valuable information. I have been hearing about the negative effects of margarine for awhile and your post just confirms everything I've heard.

I've heard the best butter you can use is made by Smart Balance. I've been using it for over a year and like it a lot.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I remember when it was touted as a great cheap replacement for butter . My Mother bought lumps of it that came with packages of yellow dye that had to be hand mixed by the homemaker to make
it look like butter .
I couldn't wait to get to school to get real sweet butter through the school lunch program .

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
GoodyGuy said:
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC

When this particular statement started circulating on the Internet a few years back, I shared it with everyone I knew, just to see what reaction I would get. My favorite was from my brother-in-law who thanked me enthusiastically because it made his wife throw away their margerine and switch to good old fashioned butter !

HOWEVER, if you can remember back to basic High School chemistry, a MOLECULE is the basic building block of EVERY compound on (and off) the planet................. In other words, pretty much everything is "one molecule away" from being everything else !

None-the-less, we banished margarine from our home at the same time we banished all sugar substitutes. Reckoning was, our bodies were more likely prepared to deal with naturally occurring substances like sugars and milk fat (butter) than with some man-made concoction.

One more little tid-bit on butter:

Here in the original "America's dairyland" (before those slap-happy california cows outnumbered ours) it was ILLEGAL to sell Margarine at all back in the 60's...........

Once made legal, it was ILLEGAL to color it to look like butter..........

Even today these stautes still stand (although rarely, if ever, enforced):

97.18(4)

(4) The serving of colored oleomargarine or margarine at a public eating place as a substitute for table butter is prohibited unless it is ordered by the customer. (This one is good to heckle the waitress with when all they put on the table is Margarine......)

97.18(5)

(5) The serving of oleomargarine or margarine to students, patients or inmates of any state institutions as a substitute for table butter is prohibited, except that such substitution may be ordered by the institution superintendent when necessary for the health of a specific patient or inmate, if directed by the physician in charge of the patient or inmate.

97.18(6)

(6) Any person who violates any provision of this section may be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500 or imprisoned not more than 3 months or both; and for each subsequent offense may be fined not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 or imprisoned in the county jail not less than 6 months nor more than one year.

Diggem'

F

Felinepeachy

And margarine tastes like.................................................ummm well margarine. :tard:

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Margarine, I won't touch the stuff. Can you imagine ruining good sweet corn on the cob, crab legs
or lobster by using oleo on it. Not me, I''ll have that butter running down my chin & dripping off
my elbows. :D (ugly thought, ain't it) Butter is a natural food so eat what tastes good. Our grand-
parents ate butter & lard & some of them lived to be 100 years old.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm buying the real thing from now on!

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Only real butter is allowed in my house.
We churned our own when I was younger, no longer have a milk cow so we buy it.
Can't beat it. It is natural.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Is home grown corn better with margarine than store bought corn with butter? I mean, are the pesticides an offset to the margarine? ???
Newt

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Never tasted a margarine that came close to the taste of butter. Not sure how much pesticides are used
on corn , but I usually get it from the farmers instead of the grocery store. Even in cooking, butter adds
a richness & creaminess to foods oils & margarines can't. It's all about flavor to us.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
One day, many years ago, I was getting ready to fry some eggs. I put a dab of margarine in the frying pan, and watched it turn into a little glob in the middle of a puddle of water.

We have been using butter ever since.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally prefer butter to margarine. However, not all margarines are the same as the old time original oleomargarine when it first came out. Now you see it made from all kinds of oils like olive oil for instance. If you read the labels many of today's margarine is called a "spread" rather than oleomargarine. They contain a lot of natural ingredients and would be quite healty if they didn't put all the added ingredients into them such as preservatives and artifical color, etc. I don't think there is a documented case of anyone dropping dead from eating margarine, but there may be? Anyway, this is an interesting perspective and good information to remember when you head to the supermarket. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions