don't forget sofas in public places for coin drops

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in my college days I worked in the library. Actually two libraries side by side at GA Tech. Nobody liked to work the night closing shift for some reason. My predecessor clued me into a little bonanza. All over both libraries were sofas with cushions. 4 floors in the under grad lib and 8 floors on the graduate library. So at closing time I went to every floor to turn off lights at 11:00 pm. But on his last day he showed me all the coins dropped in the sofas cushions when students reclined to study. They cushions were vinyal covered so the coins would slip off down in the back and between the two cushions. I would clean up every night about $3 - $5 in change. this was in 71, 70, 69, 68. I can't remember but there had to be silver in each nightly haul. But it added up each week to a nice steak dinner out. When I graduated, I passed this secret on to my replacement. I took him on my rounds and let him keep the finds. He was quite pleased with this secret nightly haul and I am sure kept up the tradition.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might go hungry now a days, most people use plastic cards.

Its kinda sad when the debit machines are down /power outage etc. People freaking out that they cant buy anything. :laughing7:

I always try to have some cash on me , but many do not anymore.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow i do that too here and there

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
EastCoastmetal my college students throw out the change...in the trash container. :dontknow:

After I lectured them on the foolishness, they now drop the change in a box on my desk! What is wrong with students, throwing money away...they tell me "Doc we don't want to carry change"??? :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EastCoastmetal my college students through out the change...in the trash container. :dontknow:

After I lectured them on the foolishness, they now drop the change in a box on my desk! What is wrong with students, throwing money away...they tell me "Doc we don't want to carry change"??? :icon_scratch:

Programing. Next thing they will think its cool to get a chip under their skin ... oh wait. Sheep being led to the slaughter.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
EastCoastMetal; none of my college students have suggested this as of yet...perhaps there is hope, at least for the small circle of students in my courses! I could easily see how they could be wooed into the "chip" payment method just to be "cool". I fear, I'm fighting a losing battle...

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ECM, this guy is only the first (maybe). You're right, a sheep. He's actually excited and happy about this! I have been joking for years how much easier everything will be when we have a chip in our foreheads. Looks like it's here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions