Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to plan a bit of enjoyment in your hunts

I wouldn't be considered an "A" type personality by any means. But, I sure can turn a fun thing into work. The last couple times out I had everything planned. Even set an alarm clock to get up on time!!! :(

I planned where I was going, what areas I was going to hit and then stayed out there until I found SOMETHING!!

Well, after those two hunts I couldn't figure out why I was sooooo blamed tired!! I fought the elements, the long hours, much digging, etc. Almost dehydrated myself in the fight! :(

When I sat down in my chair last night, it all caught up with me. I crashed! I fell asleep and didn't move from the chair until almost 3pm today!! Once I gathered my thoughts and figured out just what I'd been doing and why I had been sooo tired. I said, "Stupid!"

I still like getting in a hunt "fix" today (yep addicted). But, I went back to what I "SAY" I'm doing this for, the fun!.

I went to a very local school, that I knew had lots of shade trees, wasn't hammered too terribly and still had potential. My thought was to just go back to enjoying what I'm doing again. I stopped when a bit tired. Watched some scenery go by and just plain enjoyed myself. Very relaxing!

AND!

The finds show how much better I do when I'm not TRYING to make the finds appear. Also, didn't try to "figure out" where they might be hiding. Just wandered wherever the good Lord guided my feet.

Here's the overall:

Not gonna get rich, but I sure had fun.

IMGA3697.JPG
IMGA3698.JPG
IMGA3699.JPG
IMGA3700.JPG
IMGA3701.JPG
IMGA3702.JPG
IMGA3703.JPG
IMGA3704.JPG
IMGA3705.JPG
IMGA3706.JPG
IMGA3707.JPG

This last piece, I thought, can slaw. Until I saw the back.

IMGA3708.JPG
IMGA3709.JPG

Captain's bars. Don't know how old for sure.

But, see? Relaxed, just enjoying, and look at how much better my finds were. Even a bit of silver. ;)

Be careful, don't turn your hobby into just another job. It's too important for that mistake.

Take it from me.

Thanks for stopping by.
HH!

Upvote 9

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After 35 years of detecting and suffering with a bad knee. I figured this out years ago when I would detect myself into exhaustion for what. Now I am on the beach breathing the fresh air and swinging in the surf. And the finds do come to you!!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally agree Red and I Planed to Go Hunting in a Local Park After Playing In the Water Today!!! That Did not Happen right Away!! Did Not Hunt there!! Got called in to take Care Of A Flooded Apartment!!! Just as I Hit A Pocket Spill in the Dry Sand .76 But Still Got To a Local Park, they were Having A Recycled Arts Festival and We Were Able To Get Lunch and See Some Cool Stuff, Then Went Shopping Ill Try out the New Water Shoes Tomorrow!!! HH Chug

Always Be Able to Adjust Your Hunting A Have A Great Time !!! Chug

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 35 years of detecting and suffering with a bad knee. I figured this out years ago when I would detect myself into exhaustion for what. Now I am on the beach breathing the fresh air and swinging in the surf. And the finds do come to you!!!

Oh, I should know better. I pretty much do it right most of the time. I've also been "hunting" for almost a half century, (off and on). So, I certainly have realized it a couple of times. I just, sometimes, get caught up in hunting, (SIC - stubborn), and I tend to forget for the moment. My body usually reminds me the next day. If I make the mistake of ignoring, it always catches up. :)

One thing that's consistent, for me anyway, is that I can go just about ANY-place and find something worth keeping. :)
Just not worth fighting to "make" something appear. Just learn your machine and put in the time, they'll show.

Thanks!
HH!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post! Every now and then we need to be reminded that it's not about the finds.... its about the hunt. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post! Every now and then we need to be reminded that it's not about the finds.... its about the hunt. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thanks. It's such an easy thing to do, especially if one is of the results oriented mind. Sometimes, I just forget. :dontknow:

Wonder if Sterling Captain's bars are very collectible. ;)

HH!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and finds!, im kind of the same. Sometimes im good just digging clad, and sometimes Im just bored w/modern stuff and start getting "the itch" and feel like i Need to find the good sites. Ive had days where i was nailing the clad left and right but felt unsatisfied and wanting more, and have had others where id get 4-5 bucks in clad and felt totally fulfilled. I dunno, i guess im bipolar lol:dontknow:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good my friend :icon_thumright: Always remember this hobby is supposed to be fun :thumbsup:

mo dirt diggin

Sep 3, 2012
Souteast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 Coil, 4x6 eclipse coil, DX-1, Bullseye 2 pinpointer, Pro pointer, Lesche Sampson 31inch.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't enjoy it what is the purpose :dontknow:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and finds!, im kind of the same. Sometimes im good just digging clad, and sometimes Im just bored w/modern stuff and start getting "the itch" and feel like i Need to find the good sites. Ive had days where i was nailing the clad left and right but felt unsatisfied and wanting more, and have had others where id get 4-5 bucks in clad and felt totally fulfilled. I dunno, i guess im bipolar lol:dontknow:

Naw, you're not bipolar. We all want to have one of those banner days. The one where we find more than just 1 or 2 decent saves. It depends on what you're looking for, like, for me it's coins. I can find just one single silver coin and my ENTIRE day is made. Regardless of how everything else turned out.

But, I do miss and long for a day where a fair handful of nice finds turn up. They happen. See 'em here all the time. I know that if I just keep trying, it'll happen again for me. Always does. :)

Trouble is, sometimes, when I'm trying too hard, I get caught up and forget that this is NOT my "job". LOL

Keep at it!
HH!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good post, sir. I too get caught up every now and then (setting alarm too early, crunching through snow, mumbling something looking at old aerial maps when my wife is speaking), but occasional coin popping is a lot of fun...and productive. Thanks for the reminder!

aj

Target must be in the ground...Coil must swing over target...User must dig.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Whadifind :metaldetector::headbang: I always enjoy the playground hunts, don't worry about that banner here much! I think its pretty much impossible from this area anyways not that much history out here like at some other areas. Still its always an adventure for me 8-)

CARM

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is something that I'm still trying to learn myself.
At times I catch myself in the act, going at the ground like a savage rabid beast. Almost "overly focused" on finding the good stuff rather than just enjoying the experience..

I've also noticed that my best finds have came when I'm calm and relaxed and enjoying the moment, almost wandering aimlessly.

Thank you for reminding me of this important fact, after all hobbies are meant to be enjoyable things that we fill our free time with..right?:dontknow:

HH,
Chris

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I can't help you out with the Captain's bars but the stone in the pendant is quite pretty. And, The Good LORD will always lead us in the right direction. In my case, just the other day, was straight to 2 Mercs! I was concentrating so much on the house foundation of a bulldozed site that I forgot about the old tree and where it once stood. BINGO! Silver!
Also, remember the definition of " rich" means many different things.
BTW, what are the tokens? With the dates on them?

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, what are the tokens? With the dates on them?

As far as I understand, they're some sort of check point that the telephone man places on poles. :dontknow:

Thanks!
HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the stone in the pendant is quite pretty. And, The Good LORD will always lead us in the right direction.

That pendant is a bit of a puzzlement to me. It kind of looks lke an art project from school but it also looks like it could be old. The "stone" sort of looks like a marble with a hole bored through for the string. Don't know the metal either. It is kind of pretty though, in a rustic way.

Thanks!
HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread