Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Don't Forget Your Password!

By the way, I did finally get that 10 x 12 coil for my Silver uMax. Most of my finds in the 2009 section were dug using that machine. Great combo! :) Thanks again for the good Tesoro advice, Badger.

-Buckles

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

BuckleBoy said:
By the way, I did finally get that 10 x 12 coil for my Silver uMax. Most of my finds in the 2009 section were dug using that machine. Great combo! :) Thanks again for the good Tesoro advice, Badger.

-Buckles

I figured that when I looked over some of the old posts. I've always been amazed that you're not like most treasure hunters today who think the most expensive detectors out there are the best for the job. You're a rare type and very successful type too.

The Silver uMax with both the 8" and 12x10 inch concentric coils is not only good for coinshooting/CW relic hunting, it will compete with any detector made today.

I first discovered this by a detector depth chart that was posted online a couple years ago. The fellow rated the Silver uMax with the 9x8 coil equal with some of the very top machines made. It was rated much higher than even the Nautilus IIb.

I wrote to him about this and he challenged me to test for myself. I did a test but used what I could get used a 12x10 concentric coil and the Silver uMax. I went out to old sites and dug coins down to the 10 inch range with no problem. In fact, I found them right where I had used my Minelab Explorer II, Nautilus IIb, and Tesoro Tejon. Yes, in some ways the Silver with 12x10 is better than even the Tejon.

I wrote and thanked him for being brave enough to make that chart. But after about a year of being slandered and ridiculed he decided to give in and he moved the Silver uMax down to a lower level on his chart. I was sorry to see that but I understand.

Before I left here last year I tried to get some of Team Tesoro to use the Tesoro Silver uMax with the 12x10 concentric at the next GNRS but I think it fell on deaf ears. If they had everyone on the team using this rig and they had all experienced CW relic hunters (very important as you know) I bet they'd win.

I've purchased my share of detectors and most were the top dollar machines made today (new models) but none was better than the Silver uMax (and this includes Tesoro's other new models). in fact, when it comes to producing most fell far short of the Silver.

But you can't tell people this. Everybody thinks they have to spend a $1000 or more to get a decent machine. Usually what they end up with is a dream with lots of confusing functions. But any machine; even a crap one, will find some good stuff if you get the coil to the right places.

Many today bragging about their machines are successful in spite of the brand they're using. They're successful because they're hunting hot sites that have something to dig.

A lot of the competition we see on forums isn't about machines but about hunting sites.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks goldie1959, I'll remember to do that next time.
Thanks artzstuff1, I think maybe you have me confused with someone else but it sure sounds good.
Thanks 4-H, it's good to be back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread