Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Updated) Don't Miss a Sidewalk Replacement Opportunity

-
I've taken a break from detecting the last few weeks enjoying the 80 degree weather while my ATX was back at Garrett for self inflected repairs. This is my first post in several weeks and I should have the ATX back toward the end of the week.

Long Beach, CA, has been in the process of renovating the beach restrooms, parking lots, and a few sidewalks. When I drove by and saw a trench dug where the old sidewalk was with the sand and dirt piled next to the trench, it was time to get out the AT Pro.

I scanned all sides of the piles and found my first beach Barber Dime (1907). I didn't even know it was a dime when I scooped it. It was so encrusted with crud, it looked like a penny, so I just put it in my pocket. I also found two wheat pennies (1946 & 1957). All three of these coins require extensive cleaning just to see what they were. The Wheats are pretty much wasted and the Barber Dime cleaned up real nice.

Thanks for Dropping By......

KIMG0131.JPG -- P1040124.JPG -- P1040126.JPG

P1040120.JPG -- P1040128.JPG -- KIMG0133.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an awesome place to hunt.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah - We do that here in Minneapolis / St. Paul also. Have had some great finds, just stay away from the workers and your fine!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds SCBS! That sure is a wide beach! Send some pics of it in summertime with all the scenery! :)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Stuff Brother!...I actually found a Barber dime from a Sidewalk tearout too!

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds SCBS! That sure is a wide beach! Send some pics of it in summertime with all the scenery! :)

Good Stuff Brother!...I actually found a Barber dime from a Sidewalk tearout too!

Thanks Guys ... I should go back with a shovel and dig into the piles some and scan again.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SCBS, those are very nice finds....especially the Barber dime; nice goin'! It cleaned up very well.:icon_thumright:

That area looks like a fabulous hunting ground...get back there ASAP

Lorraine

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for posting so-cal-beach-scanner! Congratz on the barber dime.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Barber dime and found opportunity, sweet! Got my Barber dime and LC from. Sidewalk tear out! Visit that all you can!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Bill!

I can see exactly where I parked my car yesterday afternoon in one of your photos. I was too lazy to detect the ditch soil.

Congrats on that Barber dime..been sitting thre a long while waiting for you to find!:hello2::hello2::hello2:

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill!

I can see exactly where I parked my car yesterday afternoon in one of your photos. I was too lazy to detect the ditch soil.

Congrats on that Barber dime..been sitting thre a long while waiting for you to find!:hello2::hello2::hello2:

Thanks Joe ... That 1907 Barber Dime is the same age as the Long Beach 1907 Lifeguard Tower below.

KIMG0030.JPG

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
UPDATE:

Went back this morning to the sidewalk replacement to see if I missed anything. This time I pressed my coil into the mounds of sand while sliding my coil up and down the piles.

This time I found another Silver Coin (1959 Rosie). I was hoping for a Merc, Barber, or even some kind of Liberty, but I'll take it.

It's funny, I saw plenty of evidence that someone else was hitting the same area since Tues. Jan 7th, when I was last there. That's okay, I hope they found something worthwhile, that is why I post pictures of the location.

P1040229.JPG -- P1040219.JPG -- KIMG0133.jpg

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats on your finds.

I remember many years ago on our coast, Virginia beach did the same thing and many including myself hit the piles, lotzzz was found. In this day and age virgin soil at any beach like boardwalk reno's is becoming harder and harder to find, so enjoy it while you can, but be careful it can spoil ya.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed an opportunity like this when my old hometown redid their sidewalks to comply with current disability laws. Lucky for me they are tearing up some sidewalks in two more locations and while one of these areas is a little more risky than the ones on the main street, I hope to feel like checking them out and finding some good coins. WTG on the Barber dime and the Rosie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread