Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings and Happy October T-Net Nation! I was able to get out into some nearby woods on Monday for a couple of hours of detecting. While walking down a very well traveled path I hit on a decent high-ish tone ( VDI=84). About two inches down out popped a very tiny, very bent silver coin.

10.2.23-e.jpg 10.2.23-f.jpg

Turned out to be an 1847 seated half dime. It's a little on the banged up/ mangled side, but I was super happy to find it. This is only the third half dime I have come across in the past 10 years of detecting. I'm guessing that the lower than normal VDI was due to the size, and the bent-ness ( is that a word) of the coin. For me, a silver dime on the Deus 2 is usually a dead on "92".

10.2.23-d.jpg 10.2.23-c.jpg

Fifty yards down the same trail I got another nice signal that proved to be an 1837 Canadian " Habitant" bank token. This coin was also bent up, and in rough shape. But after some research I was able to get a positive ID. This token is a first for me.

10.2.23-b.jpg 10.2.23-a.jpg Habitant token- 1837.jpg

It is always a bit of a shock when you can uncover really old coins on a well used trail like this one. It really pays to slow your swing way down in this situation. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 45

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings and Happy October T-Net Nation! I was able to get out into some nearby woods on Monday for a couple of hours of detecting. While walking down a very well traveled path I hit on a decent high-ish tone ( VDI=84). About two inches down out popped a very tiny, very bent silver coin.

View attachment 2107961 View attachment 2107962

Turned out to be an 1847 seated half dime. It's a little on the banged up/ mangled side, but I was super happy to find it. This is only the third half dime I have come across in the past 10 years of detecting. I'm guessing that the lower than normal VDI was due to the size, and the bent-ness ( is that a word) of the coin. For me, a silver dime on the Deus 2 is usually a dead on "92".

View attachment 2107963 View attachment 2107964

Fifty yards down the same trail I got another nice signal that proved to be an 1837 Canadian " Habitant" bank token. This coin was also bent up, and in rough shape. But after some research I was able to get a positive ID. This token is a first for me.

View attachment 2107965 View attachment 2107966 View attachment 2107967

It is always a bit of a shock when you can uncover really old coins on a well used trail like this one. It really pays to slow your swing way down in this situation. Thanks for looking!
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like "robertk " says; "Bent or not, those are awesome!"
Congrats !!
By coincidence, I have an 1847 half dime that was bent almost exactly like yours is. Wasn't dug but was given to me by my father years ago. I worked in the wood shop of Boston Whaler in the 1970's and we used only Teak & Mahogany for the consoles & rails etc. Every night at the end of our shift, we dumped barrels of scrap wood into dumpsters. We were allowed to take it home if we wanted to & some guys brought it home for firewood. I boxed up some of the good pieces & took them home. Still have a lot of it to this day. Well, teak is a very hard wood. I took the half dime and placed it between two pieces of Teak & then pressed it in a heavy-duty vice. (Don't use the vice alone as the metal might wreck the coin). It straightened out the dime pretty good with no damage.
In hindsight, I should have boiled the coin in water for 15-20 minutes or left it out in the Sun on a hot day & quickly did the vice thing. Probably would have made the straightening easier. Would like to know what others think of this coin straightening method.
(doesn't have to be Teak, just another type of very hard wood) Cheers !! J.T.G.
p.s. And you are so right about the trails. Hunters, horseback riders and others using the trails (especially in Winter with snow on the ground) always losing stuff when pulling things out of their pockets like hankies etc.

Last edited:

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2107961 View attachment 2107962

View attachment 2107963 View attachment 2107964

View attachment 2107965 View attachment 2107966 View attachment 2107967

Wow! Nice finds. Stay on that trail!

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like "robertk " says; "Bent or not, those are awesome!"
Congrats !!
By coincidence, I have an 1847 half dime that was bent almost exactly like yours is. Wasn't dug but was given to me by my father years ago. I worked in the wood shop of Boston Whaler in the 1970's and we used only Teak & Mahogany for the consoles & rails etc. Every night at the end of our shift, we dumped barrels of scrap wood into dumpsters. We were allowed to take it home if we wanted to & some guys brought it home for firewood. I boxed up some of the good pieces & took them home. Still have a lot of it to this day. Well, teak is a very hard wood. I took the half dime and placed it between two pieces of Teak & then pressed it in a heavy-duty vice. (Don't use the vice alone as the metal might wreck the coin). It straightened out the dime pretty good with no damage.
In hindsight, I should have boiled the coin in water for 15-20 minutes or left it out in the Sun on a hot day & quickly did the vice thing. Probably would have made the straightening easier. Would like to know what others think of this coin straightening method.
(doesn't have to be Teak, just another type of very hard wood) Cheers !! J.T.G.
p.s. And you are so right about the trails. Hunters, horseback riders and others using the trails (especially in Winter with snow on the ground) always losing stuff when pulling things out of their pockets like hankies etc.
Thanks for the tip Jose! I grew up on the South Shore back in the 70's, and drove past the Boston Whaler plant all the time. Probably went right past you a few times. Small world!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the killer finds !

As mentioned above, I've also straighten out of several bent Silver Coins by putting them in between two pieces of hardwood and putting them in a Vise or just hitting the wood with a Hammer.

Good Luck !

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip Jose! I grew up on the South Shore back in the 70's, and drove past the Boston Whaler plant all the time. Probably went right past you a few times. Small world!
Sure is a small world ! I'll bet every time you drove by the plant you could smell the fiber-glass resin in the air. There's a Home Depot on the Whaler site now. Sad. After Reebok bought them, they moved operations to Florida.
If you were like me, your mind was probably wondering what it would be like to detect around those old stately Colonials on Rte. 228 heading toward Rte. 3A down to Nantasket Beach. Those homes were owned by the wealthy of that era. Lots of stuff lost on those properties I'll bet. The homes & properties still look fantastic and look especially nice on a Winter's night around Christmas time, when most of those homes have nothing but white electric candles in all of their windows.
Happy Hunting & Cheers !! J.T.G.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the killer finds !

As mentioned above, I've also straighten out of several bent Silver Coins by putting them in between two pieces of hardwood and putting them in a Vise or just hitting the wood with a Hammer.

Good Luck !
Yes. 2 pieces of hardwood & a baby sledge would do the trick. But I've been thinking that heating the coin just before you squeeze it in the vise or pound away with the sledge might, & I say might, help the coin bend back.
I've never tried it but it's just a thought, until I come across another bent coin.
p.s. Thanks to your post, I just realized that I spelled the word "vise" wrong !!:BangHead:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds NICE POSTING Thanks !!

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure is a small world ! I'll bet every time you drove by the plant you could smell the fiber-glass resin in the air. There's a Home Depot on the Whaler site now. Sad. After Reebok bought them, they moved operations to Florida.
If you were like me, your mind was probably wondering what it would be like to detect around those old stately Colonials on Rte. 228 heading toward Rte. 3A down to Nantasket Beach. Those homes were owned by the wealthy of that era. Lots of stuff lost on those properties I'll bet. The homes & properties still look fantastic and look especially nice on a Winter's night around Christmas time, when most of those homes have nothing but white electric candles in all of their windows.
Happy Hunting & Cheers !! J.T.G.
That's so funny....I've fantasized about hunting those very properties.....Such a classic old New England piece of road.
Cheers to you too!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Heat from the sun or boiling the coin in water would not heat metal sufficiently to change its bending properties noticeably. It would need the heat of a flame and to be bent immediately so it is still hot. But, in my experience, the flame discolors the coin or other metal in the area to be straightened, so that should be considered. I often just put a piece of rag into a vise, set the coin into it so that the cloth sandwiches the coin and then close the vise. The cloth slides on the metal vise jaws and also cushions the coin a bit, so the result is the same as using wood, it seems. I don't do this hot because the cloth would burn.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heat from the sun or boiling the coin in water would not heat metal sufficiently to change its bending properties noticeably. It would need the heat of a flame and to be bent immediately so it is still hot. But, in my experience, the flame discolors the coin or other metal in the area to be straightened, so that should be considered. I often just put a piece of rag into a vise, set the coin into it so that the cloth sandwiches the coin and then close the vise. The cloth slides on the metal vise jaws and also cushions the coin a bit, so the result is the same as using wood, it seems. I don't do this hot because the cloth would burn.
Then if it looks like everything other coin it's just that.
Personally I would be leaving it the way it is, as it tells a story.
Nicely done with the trail hunting.
In the past I would just do the trails and the area that they cut through.
Produced many keepers over the years that I did them.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go! I always swing my coil along the trail edge to and from a site time permitting, and it has paid off on many occasions.. Congrats on the Seated coin and bank token. Keep swinging!

dalrem

Sep 4, 2023
Central PA
Yes. 2 pieces of hardwood & a baby sledge would do the trick. But I've been thinking that heating the coin just before you squeeze it in the vise or pound away with the sledge might, & I say might, help the coin bend back.
I've never tried it but it's just a thought, until I come across another bent coin.
p.s. Thanks to your post, I just realized that I spelled the word "vise" wrong !!:BangHead:
Being new to this hobby, I'm learning a lot. Thank you.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, heat from a flame or torch most likely will wreck the coin. Even using the vice method, I'd be reluctant to try it
with an old penny or large cent for fear of cracking the coin. Silver & gold only IMO, or as "pepperj" says, leave it as is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread