Dont shoot-Ive only got two legs and no antlers

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't shoot-I've only got two legs and no antlers

Did you ever find a site that was so mouthwatering, so promising, so tempting that it was driving you nuts? Did you change plans, buy new stuff, and drive a long way just so you could hunt a particular site? Well, I did, and it's becoming a real pain in my butt.

I did my research and subsequently received permission to hunt a particular piece of property. It's in west central Florida where there were numerous Civil War battles. The elderly woman that lives on the property is at least second, possibly third, generation. There are a couple of old homesteads on the island, nothing left but a few above ground remnants. The houses were used by slaves at one time, or so the story goes.

She, and her family members, had previously found some above ground Civil War relics to include canon balls, buckles, and buttons over the years. They have never used a metal detector on the property.

The hunt.jpg

I finally arrive fully equipped and ready for a long day of digging, with expectations of some really neat relics. I'm new to dirt digging having been a dedicated surf and underwater hunter for the last 5 years or so. This should prove to be a wonderful experience.

~KABOOM~ A shot rings out, it was close... were they shooting at me? The echo in the woods fades away as I stand frozen in my tracks. I'm trying to figure out where the shot came from, which direction. I'm pretty sure it was ahead of me to my right, maybe slightly left ~KABOOM~ Now I'm kneeling and keeping lower than after the first shot. Frozen.

It was most definitely in front of me. There is supposed to be no one else on the island, it's private property, but then again, its also hunting season in the back woods of Florida. This is the time of the year when even the most unbalanced individual is allowed to carry a high-power rifle into the woods and sneak about like a thief after midnight wearing camouflaged clothing. No IQ test necessary, just Wal-Mart with a credit card and you too can trespass away and go a killin.

Do I go confront the trespasser? Hummm... I would be taking a digging shovel to a gun fight, not too bright. Yep, hunting season has started, and in this neck of the woods, fences only provide a little extra exercise. Backing away slowly I extract myself from the small clearing and seek the safety of my truck several hundred yards distant.

Another day perhaps... I'll try to make it home with the same number of holes in me that I arrived with.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Re: Don't shoot-I've only got two legs and no antlers

I'm very cautious this time of year where I go diggin because of hunting season. During deer season I stay in town and hit parks. If I would venture out into the countryside I would invest in a orange vest and hat...however that doesn't prevent some idiot taking a pot shot in my general direction...so I stay away.

Used to be more people were responsible hunters now, as you siad too many 'walmart' hunters.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You were wise to get out of the area. Hunters in many states have more of a right to be in the woods practicing their sport than metal detectorists. They are taxed on the equipement they buy and the fees for licenses, etc while we don't have to pay a dime to enjoy our hobby.

As for the, "This is the time of the year when even the most unbalanced individual is allowed to carry a high-power rifle into the woods and sneak about like a thief after midnight wearing camouflaged clothing. No IQ test necessary, just Wal-Mart with a credit card and you too can trespass away and go a killin. " The same could be said for us being low IQ types that dig in the dirt for pennies and sneaking off with relics that belong to the people while wearing camo and trespassing.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

I agree on the Orange hat and vest but if the person is really shooting at you for some nefarious reason you just made yourself a MUCH easier target.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

Sandman said:
As for the, "This is the time of the year when even the most unbalanced individual is allowed to carry a high-power rifle into the woods and sneak about like a thief after midnight wearing camouflaged clothing. No IQ test necessary, just Wal-Mart with a credit card and you too can trespass away and go a killin. "

The same could be said for us being low IQ types that dig in the dirt for pennies and sneaking off with relics that belong to the people while wearing camo and trespassing.

One difference is that we represent no risk to other people with our hobby. (not that I condone trespassing)

Jay

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman said:
The same could be said for us being low IQ types that dig in the dirt for pennies and sneaking off with relics that belong to the people while wearing camo and trespassing.

I've got nothing against hunting. The point I was making was that I was not trespassing. I was the only one with permission to be on the property, which in total is about 80 acres, and I'm not going to kill someone with errant electrons...

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
You were wise to get out of the area. Hunters in many states have more of a right to be in the woods practicing their sport than metal detectorists. They are taxed on the equipement they buy and the fees for licenses, etc while we don't have to pay a dime to enjoy our hobby.

As for the, "This is the time of the year when even the most unbalanced individual is allowed to carry a high-power rifle into the woods and sneak about like a thief after midnight wearing camouflaged clothing. No IQ test necessary, just Wal-Mart with a credit card and you too can trespass away and go a killin. " The same could be said for us being low IQ types that dig in the dirt for pennies and sneaking off with relics that belong to the people while wearing camo and trespassing.

Sandman,
You make it sound so cool when you put it that way. Makes us sound like spys or cat burglars or something.
I'm headed to Dick's to buy some camo! That sounded exciting!!

HH,
Ramapirate

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just know that you can put a bad spin on hunting or metal detection to make it sound bad and improper thing for a well adjusted person to do. Archeologist's do this to us all the time and want us outta the woods.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, if the property owner is 80 years old--who knows what that guy with a gun is growin out there...

I think Modern Miner's most recent post could relate to this topic...

::)

I have driven an hour and a half to hunt a site that was still in crop when I arrived. Yeah--it sucks. And the farther away the site is, the more planning, research, etc. goes into it.

-Buckles

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver

Ramapirate said:
Sandman said:

Sandman,
You make it sound so cool when you put it that way. Makes us sound like spys or cat burglars or something.
I'm headed to Dick's to buy some camo! That sounded exciting!!

HH,
Ramapirate
Yea, kinda looks to me like he is trying to say something too... :-\

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Be sure to let the property owner know someone was hunting her property, and then stay away until the season ends.
Some of those Florida Crackers are crazier than a sprayed roach!

trixster

Nov 4, 2007
Mount Savage Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Turn your hat sideways point your detector at them and yell " BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! people usually leave you alone when you do this ( just kidding ) being that she was 80 maybe she forgot to tell you that someone else was there hunting . John HH

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A few weeks back I took my wife and daughter to a brook to look for fossilized shark teeth. I'm driving down the road that the brook is off of and we pass two little parking lots with trucks, guys in camouflage and lots of guns. My wife goes into panic mode so I tell her not to worry because the brook is a very popular fossil hunting site and the hunters know to stay away. We arrive and there are ten or so other people searching the brook so she settles down. I'm unloading the truck. I turn to her and say that we have to go back home because I forgot the antler hat I purchased for her. She did not think it was funny....oh well maybe next time.

NJ

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Always shoot back. Scares the hell out if them.

I have been bow hunting and got shot at by poachers.
I do not hunt where there are people now. (also didn't like the idea of a gun fight).

Maybe it was pot growers. Ask the owner if she allows hunting.
If hunters - make lots of people noise.

Bad idea to treasure hunt during game animal hunting season.
Illegal pot growers are something else.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To be honest, hunting now-a-days since blaze orange requirement is a very safe sport. Most accidents involve use of tree stands. Sounds like you wandered into someone's hunting area. Odds are he was shooting at a deer you unknowingly pushed toward him. Hunters are not homicidal maniacs. Our group consists of myself (firefighter), a security guard, a school custodian and his son, a truck driver plus one retiree. As sandman said hunters must pay hefty fees just to hunt plus buy the equipment. In Tennessee all hunters are required to pass a hunter safety course. Anyway, glad your not hurt, But until hunting season ends wear orange.

By the way, don't know about your area but here locally, meth makers have moved to the great outdoors. They're the ones to be wary of.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30

Yeah, but shouldn't you be able to see what you are shooting at?!? We have plenty of deer in my area and I don't think they look anything like people. Do you have an exceptionally long nose and very fuzzy face?

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

The elderly woman may simply have forgotten to mention she gave permission to others to use her property and more likely has an understanding of sorts, with her neighbors that allow them to use her property.

When dealing with any property owner, cover all the bases including whether or not your use of the land is exclusive, in many cases its not. :wink:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

CanUDigIt said:
Yeah, but shouldn't you be able to see what you are shooting at?!? We have plenty of deer in my area and I don't think they look anything like people. Do you have an exceptionally long nose and very fuzzy face?

we can't all be brad pitt! :D

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Does Brad Pitt look like that?

When I hunted I always looked for background before shooting.
As well as what I am shooting.

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
CZ 7 pro quick silver CZ 70 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Had this happen to me last week.Had permission to hunt from bank on a repo. homesite with two hundred acres.
Was in field about a hour,and turned around and saw a deer hunter walking towards me.He started cussing and
telling me i was messing up his hunt,I proceded to tell him i had permission to detect there from bank.He then said he ONCE leased the land,from the owners,and figured since it was in foreclosure no one would mind!!!
TRESPASSING!!!!He returned to his stand, a little while later,two shots fired very close to me.I stayed :thumbsup:
Dumb maybe,but figured I would go out doing something I love to do :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread