Don’t Shoot the Messenger

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The person that sent these to me thinks it is a carving in remembrance of a lost loved one.
Top half being broke off.

Person holding a fish on the left and a fishing net on the right.

Was found in the vicinity of a trading area near a river.
My opinion is it’s just a rock.

A3B5BD94-D08E-4C68-A745-FAF116A47298.jpeg
088A0A03-83C6-4710-8908-98C8EED4BDB4.jpeg
915B8E20-D3DD-401C-ADED-7D5231048EC4.jpeg
4543C599-44AA-459B-9382-237C4A86016D.jpeg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with unclemac.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd lines but I don’t see it , the thing that always gets me is it seems people forget how talented and skillful NAs were so surely if they wanted to create a drawing or carving it would be crafted by a skilled hand and look amazing

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plow marks or crack marks would be most likely.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to tell that person he or she needs to stop breaking the Prozac in half and take a full tablet .

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It doesn't even appear to be broke from what I can see.

And, for the most part, the scratches don't resemble the work of a plow imho.

Just looks like a plain ol rock to me.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have been seeing things on ebay lately....granite and other igneous rocks with well defined black mineral clusters....people selling them as ancient carvings with hundreds of images in them.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, this looks like a granitic rock. The "lines" or "grooves", if you look closely are not smooth, but "wrinkled" looking in appearance, so I think it was probably a vein of softer material like for example feldspar or another associated mineral that has "weathered" out making the rock look like that. I'll again state that I'm not an expert, but, I have been raised on a farm and know what plow marks on rocks look like (which IMO these don't look like plow marks), also, I have been recreational mining for about 30 years, and know my minerals pretty well, So I'm using that as my experience. Take it for what you feel that's worth!:laughing7: And for what it's worth, I can "see" with my imagination the picture you described, but don't think it's something that was done intentionally by a man. I appreciate how you IMAUDIGGER stated that you think it also is just a rock.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, this looks like a granitic rock. The "lines" or "grooves", if you look closely are not smooth, but "wrinkled" looking in appearance, so I think it was probably a vein of softer material like for example feldspar or another associated mineral that has "weathered" out making the rock look like that. I'll again state that I'm not an expert, but, I have been raised on a farm and know what plow marks on rocks look like (which IMO these don't look like plow marks), also, I have been recreational mining for about 30 years, and know my minerals pretty well, So I'm using that as my experience. Take it for what you feel that's worth!:laughing7: And for what it's worth, I can "see" with my imagination the picture you described, but don't think it's something that was done intentionally by a man. I appreciate how you IMAUDIGGER stated that you think it also is just a rock.:icon_thumright:

I had the fish outlined wrong. He is showing it larger with cross hatching for scales (same as the cross hatching on the right side.
I kind of was thinking something similiar as to your scenario.
Personally I think it is a neat looking rock. The area that would be broken off is rounded and worn. I would think any carvings would have long disappeared.

23179840-EC8A-478D-A6F0-187E05E6E4D3.jpeg
55064125-EBC0-4837-832A-E9AD230F62F6.jpeg

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, not plough marks, most likely natural. I don't know that you would carve a rock in remembrance of a loved one. Whatever the person who found it wants to fancy it is fine with me though. However, being a fan of America B.C., if Barry Fell were still around, he could probably nail them down as an ancient Libyan boundary marker. Just kidding, but the last pic does look more like something carved.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our brain is hard wired to recognize faces and features. So it is not unusual for us to see something in a natural stone. Its called Pareidolia[FONT=arial, sans-serif]. [/FONT]

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the option of negative on your camera try it out. It gives you a different perspective especially if there is a decent contrast between the engravings and the stone.

Here are a couple examples of pics using the negative option on rocks with markings, the side with the markings is well polished so the markings are fairly visible more so using the negative option on my camera. Im not making any claims as to if their artifacts these however are very common patterns such as the crosshatch design on your piece that is really hard to tell if carved or not.

If the pics are sideways open them.

20190131_151259.jpg
20190131_152402.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions