caselhall

Feb 12, 2013
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 W/DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't Trust Ace 250 With Gold!

So I got jobbed out today to find a 14K gold diamond ring. Because it was lost on a median you can imagine a lot of junk hits. I turned my Ace 250 to eliminate everything but gold to concentrate on the ring and got nothing solid. I found the gold ring with my eagles eye's instead. For shits and giggles I threw it under the coil to see how it registers (for education purposes) and it didnt make a peep on my costume gold setting mode. I turned it to all metal and it lite up like a christmas tree in the silver/quarter/dollar coin scale. Just figure all Ace 150-350 owners should know this if not already discovered. Bad Garrett!!

jointrunner

Feb 10, 2013
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Well retried found that the middle four blocks below bronze and gold (with all else eliminated) allows for her ring to be found with the mid pitched tone

OP
OP
caselhall

caselhall

Feb 12, 2013
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 W/DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'm an idiot, I just did my wife's as well with just the four blocks it did register as you said, low and slow. Now Im realizing the error of my ways! I threw the ring on the grass knoll off the side of a busy road. so there was probably another variable beneath.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know for a fact when it comes to gold items,You cant trust anything made by teknetics,I found a 24k thin gold link necklace that rang up in the foil range a while back,Found a 10k wedding band that rang up pulltab,TID is bogus on any machine,DOnt blame garrett for that happening,GOld in the ground is fickle when it comes to TID on your detector.I pay more attention to the numbers these days than i do the categories they ring up in. HH and im glad you found the ring!!

HH,John

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair, no detector can accurately discriminate all gold all of the time. Gold has such a wide range of conductivity. 10K gold is very close to a nickel while 24K is close to a zinc penny. So if you are telling your detector to "tune out everything but gold" then what exactly are you telling it? How can any detector tune out nickels and zinc pennies and not also be tuning out gold?

The reality is that to find gold you must dig ALL targets above foil. No exceptions. I don't care if you have a $10,000 detector. If you are not digging all targets above foil then you are probably missing gold. To some people, that is fine. But if you truly want to find the gold then just beware that pretty much all detectors work this way.

OP
OP
caselhall

caselhall

Feb 12, 2013
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 W/DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know for a fact when it comes to gold items,You cant trust anything made by teknetics,I found a 24k thin gold link necklace that rang up in the foil range a while back,Found a 10k wedding band that rang up pulltab,TID is bogus on any machine,DOnt blame garrett for that happening,GOld in the ground is fickle when it comes to TID on your detector.I pay more attention to the numbers these days than i do the categories they ring up in. HH and im glad you found the ring!!

HH,John

Thanks John, It made me $30.00, I'm trying to put my machine to work. It was a 2 carat diamond, I was half tempted to say I didnt find it lol! Oh well! Damn integrity

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread