Door Knocking

Dec 23, 2014
wftx
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Door Knocking

I started door knocking a little over two years ago. I would say that 75 percent of the homes we knock, the home owners give us permission to hunt their yards.

When I started metal detecting again in 2009, I hunted the parks, schools, churches etc. and would find the occasional silver.

A friend of mine in Ft. Worth had told me about getting permission from property owners to hunt their property. Even though I’ve been in sales for years, it was hard at first to knock on someone’s door and ask to hunt (dig) their front yard.

In the past two years I have been in every town in a hundred mile radius of where I live knocking doors. I look for homes built in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I mostly hunt corner lots, they are a little bigger and have had more traffic with people cutting through them.

When I go up to someone’s house and they are hesitant, I start asking them about their home, when was it built, do they know any history about it, have they found anything interesting in it. Most home owner enjoy talking about their old homes.

I have been hunting with my buddy for over three years, it was really hard for him at first. Now we take turns knocking till the home owner says yes. Whoever did the door knocking and gets permission gets to choose where he wants to start hunting in that yard. After doing this as long as we have, you know where the coins (silver) should be.

We have found as many as ten silver coins in one yard. Some times the yard that we think would really produce the silver, may not produce anything. That yard probably was hunted in the past.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy I hunt with does all the asking...Im too chicken :tongue3:...about 70% say go for it...we offer to give them anything we find and they always say to keep it.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found much more success when I find someone outside in there yard. It seems like less an invasion of their privacy. When finding someone in the yard and asking permission I'm batting a thousand. Far less when actually knocking on a closed door. Of the yards I got permission to detect last year I came up with large cents, a nice 1786 New Jersey copper, very old sterling belt buckle, George II copper, Barbers, Standing Liberty quarters, Indians, Spanish silver and much more. They are a gold mine as they usually haven't been hunted.

Talk detecting every chance you get and you never know where it will lead. I was buying a camera for my daughter this morning across state lines. Ended up talking with someone also buying a camera. Turns out he lives 2 towns over from me and his extensive family has lived there for more than 200 years. He told me where his father lives and the house was built in 1747. It's across the street from a house built in 1740 that was used as one of Washington's headquarters during the Revolutionary War and now on the National Register of Historic Places. I told him I'd love to detect his father's house. He thought it would be a great idea as he loves history. He also told me he has old photos of where the "turnpike" toll house was. It was torn down about 100 years ago. He gave me his contact info and I gave him mine. Can't wait for the snow to melt and the ground to thaw : )

Keep knocking and talking. FYI, photos below are just some of my finds from property where permission was obtained.

2 reale obv 5-6-14.jpg

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0078 finds 1-17-14.jpg

View attachment SLQ and walker 6-1-14.jpg

20140608_185419 1812 artillery button.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread