Door knocking

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few weeks ago I posted a post saying how I was only 15 and I wanted to start door knocking well Im going to attempt to talk me self into going this weekend and doing it. I already have a place picked out. The only real problem im faceing now is what do I tell the home owner as sson as tgey open the door clearly I tell them Im a metal detetorist and what I do but and tips and more in-depth suggestions

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally try to catch people in their yard and strike up a conversation. Being that you are 15 and a new member I hope you have worked on your plugging skills. If your going to cold knock, I'd say good morning, I am so & so and live nearby, (maybe tell your address and possibly your parents name) who knows maybe they know them and it might be an "in". "I enjoy metal detecting as a hobby and was wanting to know if it would be okay for me to detect your property". It's just that simple. If you get a yes, ask them if they lost any valuables (get a description of the lost item/s) and let them know that is your find it/them you'll gladly give them the items.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes Iv worked on my plug skills I have no problem with plugs at all and thanks for the tip

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always first introduce myself and then ask politely about metal detecting there property. I first mention about doing the outskirts or wooded area for example of there property because its less likely they would care as much. Usually later after they soften up you will get full range of the property. I also stress i never go on anyones property without permission and that there will be no damage done to the yard. I also down play the potential of valuable finds. I say i like finding the odd penny or ax head if I'm lucky and they are welcome to see what you find. A nice old silver coin might just not be mentioned for example. What they don't know wont hurt them. After knocking a few times in different spots you'll get your routine down. Every knock is different so you have to act accordingly to each situation.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally try to catch people in their yard and strike up a conversation. Being that you are 15 and a new member I hope you have worked on your plugging skills. If your going to cold knock, I'd say good morning, I am so & so and live nearby, (maybe tell your address and possibly your parents name) who knows maybe they know them and it might be an "in". "I enjoy metal detecting as a hobby and was wanting to know if it would be okay for me to detect your property". It's just that simple. If you get a yes, ask them if they lost any valuables (get a description of the lost item/s) and let them know that is your find it/them you'll gladly give them the items.

That works too! [emoji2]

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi....my name is Mason. I live here locally right over on X street. I am really interested in coins/artifacts/relics that history has left behind right under our feet. I am wondering if it would be possible for me to use my metal detector to see if your property has any such historical items that I can uncover? If you have any lost items or need a property marker found I would be happy to assist with that as well. I take pride in digging very careful "plugs" and make it appear like I was never here, so there is no reason to worry about damage to your lawn. All plugs will rebound in a few days time leaving the grass looking as it did before.

I don't say it so scripted like when you read it here in your head. Be laid back and friendly...try not to be uptight and nervous. Pretty much what I say in a nutshell and I get a good 7/10 yes answers.

Usually I record video on public property hunts but I don't ask to record on private property. Figure I do not want to press my luck and just take the yes and go with it. Best of luck man.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice. I think LD is on to something with your name and parents names and phone #. Maybe make you a small biz card to offer them. It would show your intent to be responsible. And respectful. Don't let rejection get you down, it happens to all of us. You will get more yes's than no's. Good luck. After the first few it will become natural.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most older people love young folks like you. Just talking to a younger person is sometimes enjoyable for them. As it's been said above, be polite and friendly....you would be surprised how far that will get you. Good luck!!

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I still have not got a chance to door knock yet because its bee. Raining every weekend and its suppost to rain again this weekend :( what are you guys first door knocling experience

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with people that i knew or at least knew who i was. Got nothing but permissions. Its good practice for the time you try a stranger. I also used halloween when i took the kids out to scope out new places and feel the owners out! Haha

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with people that i knew or at least knew who i was. Got nothing but permissions. Its good practice for the time you try a stranger. I also used halloween when i took the kids out to scope out new places and feel the owners out! Haha

I totally agree, I asked people I knew 1st and never received a no. I had the hardest time getting permission from the kitchen committee to dig my own yard.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get permission at at a house try to be extra friendly to their neighbors. And hit them up after they have seen you detecting a couple of times. And then keep working your way down the street.........MDing.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it...a new, 15 year old enthusiast reached out. ..and got nothing but the best advice from the best people...this is more than a hobby, it's a lifestyle. At 50, I have trouble approaching people I've never met, to ask them if I can detect...so I too, took a lot away from this. Thanks T-Net members, thanks metal detecting. ..sincerely...ddf..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread