Dose anyone use the GTI-2500

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Of course ;D I get more coins with it compared with my other detectors becase of it's sizing abilities. I also use the true all metal mode in hunted out sports fields, relic hunts and beaches to dig the deeper signals. It still gives ID too in all metal.

You don't see very many GTI 2500's come up for sale. Most people who purchase one keep it.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have one. it is a top notch machine, but lacks the depth capabilities of the explorers (in discrim modes). i have never used a dfx so i cant compare it to that.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
DragoSapien said:
How deep dose it go

in most cases it will do fine. the deepest coin i ever got with it was probably a dime at 6 or 7 inches, which is pretty respectable. with the explorer i have dug dimes at 8 or 9. in true all metal mode the GTI will go considerably deeper. i never got used to hunting that way and only rarely use it though. the size feature is pretty cool too, but keep in mind that it is only accurate to about 5 or 6 inches. beyond that you just have to dig it to find out. i do like the GTI and think its a great choice if you want an easy to use machine, but i must admit, most days i reach for the Explorer.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Hollowpointred is telling it like it is.
I like my 2500, but have never used a DFX or Explorer.
Have also found coins at 6-8" using a disc mode.
I know the All-metal mode is deeper and still will image
and Target ID.

R

robert roy

www.metaldetectorreviews.net
Your right. You DON'T see many come up for sale on Ebay.
Also read the field report at www.treasurequest.com.

Alan in Marietta, Ga. -
This detector has awesome power in all metal mode. Is very deep. I just got it upgraded with a better mineraization chip from Garrett and performs even better now here in Ga. which has very hot ground. I use it for prospecting, relic and coin hunting, it does it all. Disrimination is not as deep as all metal as is same for all machines, but is deep and sensitive enough to find many coins and relics in all type of earth. I would highly recommend this unit. I was detecting with a guy that had a minelab explorer and mine was every bit as deep as his and i'd items faster than his. Also am using it with a 12.5 inch coil for relic hunting and is almost too deep cause I am digging some deep holes to get to some of these civil war items. But is worth it!
Aug 21, 2007
12 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Good Choice!!
tim in Minnesota -
Tried to decide between a Whites DFX or Garrett 2500. Picked the 2500 and have been happy with My choice. What other detectors show target size imaging?? -- only Garretts! Imaging seems accurate to 6"-- depending on soil can image deeper. All metal mode is not only deep but target ID's also!! This is a fun detector to use-- although heavy, I have swung it for many hours without tiring out. As with all detectors-- this one might not be the right choice for every circumstance. So far its done everything I've needed it to do!!
Jul 17, 2007
8 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

garrett gti 2500
terry in pittsburgh, pa -
It is a great detector found lots of coins but after a half hour in the field my arm was about to fall off to heavy to be swinging all day got rid of it and now have bounty hunter guick draw 2 discover 2000 and 3300 I can be out in the field all day swinging and find just about as much stuff
Jun 07, 2007
3 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

The Best of Them All.
Alan in West Virginia -
Using the 12.5 coil,this machine will go as deep as the minelab explorer,and you'll get better size and depth imaging too.With the larger coil,I've dug coins from 8 to 11 inches deep.The gti2500 is the best.
May 07, 2007
9 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Save your money buy the 550gtax
JW in Maine -
Had a garrett 550gtax and was really impressed, so bought the 2500 gti and was really dissapointed. Does not get very good depth unless your in all metal mode. The size imaging is a joke, ended up turning it off. It does pinpoint well and is easy to use.
If you are going to coinshoot in your local park then it will be find but if you want to go for the deeper stuff buy somthing else. My opinion buy the 550gtax its as good a machine as the 2500. And a lot less money.

Feb 24, 2007
7 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

amazing simply amazing top of the line the best
damon abernathy in adairsville georgia -
i waited for years for someone to come out with a dector like this. i love the sizeing feature i mean this machine is very accurate on telling you how big the object is saves you lots and lots of time no more digging beer cans that read a coin i have used a whites spectrum for years nice but not as good as my gti 2500 also i tryed a bounty hunter this machine is junk absolutley junk owened a whites 6000 di pro great machine but the thing i love most about the 2500 is the sizeing no more beer cans if you are hunting coins i have seen my freinds dig targets that i walk right over with my machine
i have been decting for 25 years the depth of this dector is amazing super in the all metal mode for relics and as good or better than the whites spectrum that i owned on coins truley the best if you wont the most info befor you dig i mean who wonts to waste time on junk this machine offers more info about whats in the ground than any of the competitors hannds down the best out there

Jan 03, 2007
16 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

A great Machine
Robert Hardaway in Chattanooga TN USA -
I purchased my machine in May of 2005. I have found over 2000 coins, several rings, toys, keys etc. It takes time to learn the machine because of all the options. Pin pointing is great. I like the ability to switch modes with just touch of a couple of buttons while scanning. I switch back and forth between zero and coin modes constantly which helps in verifying trash. I have found that you should also dig A size targets because many coins are on end. My oldest finds are a few civil war bullets, and my best find to date is an 1880 five dollar gold coin. I have learned to trust what the machine is telling me. I am still learning it's capabilities.
Jul 19, 2006
30 people found this review helpful.

Craig in Australia -
What I liked.
I thought it was very good in all the settings as it has many, great depth, as good as the Minelab Sovreign GT.

What I hated.
The voice thing is not a good idea at all.
Heavy, heavy heavy and did I say heavy.
I don't like the depth and size display I thought it would be a great idea.
Lets face it by moving your coil up and over and side to side or even adjusting your sensitivity down you will have a good idea of how deep and the size.

I sold it and still prefer the GT sovreign, its light weight very easy to adjust and see all the settings, the varible tone tells me what the object is without even using the display.

well thats my thoughts anyway
Detectors I have used
garrett infinium, GTA400, GTI2500, All the minelab Sovreigns.
Jan 10, 2006
14 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Amazing Versatility
PThomas in Heart of New Mexico -
I bought my GTI2500 about 6 years ago shortly after they came out to replace the GTI2000. It was my first 'real' detector. And what a detector it is.

While much ado is made about its imaging capabilities (being able to 'size' the target), this ability can be a double-edged sword. If you only dig those targets which show as size B - coin sized, you may be missing masses of coins such as those found in a 'pocket dump' where someone literally dumps all the change out of their pocket. You may also be missing bracelets, brooches and the like. I'd suggest that when using the imaging coils, dig all B and C size targets. And ALWAYS dig them if they show more than 6 inches deep.

It's too bad that many people judge this machine strictly on its imaging coils. While the imaging coils make it a park coin-shooter second to none, someone must try the various other coils available to truly see the amazing versatility of this machine. With the sniper coil, it is fantastic around fences, playground equipment and in trashy areas. With the 5x10 elliptical (my favorite), it is an unbelievably effective competition machine - covers a lot of ground and pinpointing is deadly accurate. The 12.5 inch imaging coil, though very heavy, can add another 6-10 inches in depth on larger targets. The 12 inch coil is ideal for searching for caches in buildings, as it totally ignores the metal construction materials. Although I've not used it myself, it's nice to know there is a 'two-box' attachment also available for this machine for finding deep caches (4-8 FEET deep!!!). What other machine of any make offers you this kind of versatility???

The only improvement I can think of after having used this machine for the last several years is: It would be nice to have more than the three tones available for Tone ID.

Overall, though, I think that once learned, this machine is second to none when it comes to versatility. It may not do certain things as well as some other machines, but NO OTHER MACHINE can do all the things that it can do.
Jan 04, 2006
31 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

GTI 2500
Ed in Texas Gulf Coast -
I have had my GTI 2500 for over two years. When I first got it, I thought this was the best detector that money could buy. After using it for some time I discovered that in coins and jewelry modes the best depth that I could get was approx. six inches no matter how I adjusted it. I made myself a coin and trash garden early on and the best depth was and still is six inches for coins. The all metal mode button is to close to the pinpoint button and the pinpoint button sticks to often. Dirty fingers can cause dirt to get lodged in and around the buttons and it is a must to use a cover to prevent this from happening. When in a trash out area it is impossible to locate coins and this may be for all brands. My opinion is this detector is over priced and it is good for cherry picking coins near the surface.
Aug 13, 2005
27 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Garrett 2500 Review
Ted in Columbus,Ohio -
I have used many detectors, studied many more and have found coins with all of them. The Garrett is disappointing at first site, you get many false signals...Until you start digging...Usually if it goes haywire on Pennies, dimes and quarters, it's because they are in the same hole in front of you...DIG THEM OUT! they are there...Believe the detector and what it is telling you! Let it talk to you, it's not lying even when you think it is! AGAIN...DIG IT!
It spoiled me, after about a month it started talking to me, I understood what the detector was saying, and I dug it! Everything...The best find to date a $1400.00 Gold ring returned to neighbor that had lost it 4 years ago, I'm telling you...I have nothing bad to say about this detector, opps it weighs a little too much but my arm is getting stronger!
Buy it and use it, Dig it...Believe what it is saying to you!
It doesn't lie!

KCK
OHIO
Jun 29, 2005
24 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

not too bad
Gary in Capitola, California -
let me preface this by saying i am a beach hunter and have tried the 2500 exclusively on the beach.

PROS:

*The fit and finish/construction quality was top notch.

*Dry sand conditions/low mineralization using all metal fast track mode went really deep!

*Garrett offers a "Tall Man Rod" for taller users

CONS:

*Wet salty sand performance was not that great, and the Salt mode didn't do anything.

*Does not do that well in black sand/mineralized conditions.

*a tad on the heavy side

*jumpy target i.d.

*didn't do too well in trashy areas.

my bottom line:

overall not a bad detector in my opinion, but not my first choice for beach hunting given the price, unless you run it in all metal for scary depth on dry sand low trash conditions.

A tad expensive, but not all that bad. For that kind of money though i would probably get an Explorer, or Fisher CZ first.
Apr 01, 2005
17 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Garrett 2500 FANTASTIC
Tom in Skippack, PA USA -
I have had the machine a few weeks now and it is a great piece of electronics. At first look it can be intimidating, but if you want quality you have to spend a little time learning/reading. It is realtively easy to learn though and depth is very good. I live in an area with a lot of clay and it appears to have no problem with that. I have a Bounty Hunter that works well also, but the 2500 is GREAT.
3 signatures back on the my property deed is William Penn and part of our land was where a stage coach used to stop, I have found a few items with my old Bounty Hunter, and expect to find a lot more now with the 2500.

Mar 28, 2005
10 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Great Machine, Service and Company
Rod in Canada -
Have been using Garretts for 6 yrs, first a 1000 then a 1500 and now a 2500, once you spend the time to learn them they are amazing, although easily used it takes a lot of practice to read and interpret the info. Pinpointing is great, I like the allmetal mode with the 12.5 imaging coil for plowed fields predominately. Great service, Mary at Garrett is amazing!!
Feb 10, 2005
11 people found this review helpful.

Garrett GTI 2500
Bill in USA -
I've owned one for a year and must say that I'm not as excited about it as I was when I first bought it. Its best feature is its pinpointing mode which is very good and easy to use; however, the pinpointing button can sometimes get stuck, and you have to wiggle it to disengage it -- a very frustrating thing when you've swept an area and realized that you've been in the wrong mode the whole time.

It's quite heavy, and the weight is poorly distributed to the coil end. Garrett says you can detach the battery pack and clip it on your belt to reduce the overall weight, but that makes it even more front-heavy.

I have to run in All-metal mode to get good depth; I miss too many targets in Discrim mode. The imaging feature is interesting, but can be easily fooled. The multi-tone only works in Discrim mode, but there are too few tones to be helpful. When using All-metal mode, you get only one tone. Volume of the tone is the same for all targets, regardless of target signal strength.

I'm now looking for another detector and leaning toward a Minelab Explorer II or Tesoro Cortes.

Sep 07, 2004
20 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Garrett GTI 2500
Justin in USA -
I think the gti 2500 is overhyped. I have had one for 8 months and it is not all that I expected. Imaging only works to 5-6'' on coin sized objects.

When using descrimination thats about the depth you will get also, 5-6'' on coins. I will say if you relic hunt the all metal goes deep but in most areas where I coin hunt all-metal is too frustrating to use with all the trash.

Mar 04, 2004
13 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Garrett GTI 2500
treaser man in USA -
the greatest !!!

Oct 31, 2003
6 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Garrett GTI 2500
ray bedell in USA -
the greatest i have ever used! period

Oct 30, 2003
2 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Garrett GTI 2500
Justin in USA -
I think the gti 2500 is overhyped. I have had one for 8 months and it is not all that I expected. Imaging only works to 5-6'' on coin sized objects.

When using descrimination thats about the depth you will get also, 5-6'' on coins. I will say if you relic hunt the all metal goes deep but in most areas where I coin hunt all-metal is too frustrating to use with all the trash.

Apr 20, 2003
3 people found this review helpful.
Was this helpful to you?

Garrett GTI 2500
wade s in USA -
the best i ever used even better than my minelab explorer II

Dec 31, 1969
8 people found this review helpful.

R

robert roy

Drago:
I sent you a personal e-mail.
Please check it out for some more information.

Good Luck

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You DON'T see many come up for sale on Ebay

Actually, if you disregard the proliferation of new ones being offered, you will always find used GTI2500s on Ebay. I have been watching for a few months, and there was never a time that there wasn't at least one used one for sale.

FYI... They all seem to go for $625 to $700 dollars (with the Pro Pack)

Dan

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 6 used GTI 2500s on EBay right now!

Dan

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hollowpointred said:
i have one. it is a top notch machine, but lacks the depth capabilities of the explorers (in discrim modes).
And weight to I think???
I use it here in Sweden and find it ok, not good disc for European conditions. But for US it should do fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread