JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Smokes what a day for me. SO we got let out of work 2 hrs early today since it is the day before thanksgiving. I just got my second CTX3030 last night via the brown truck and figured I needed to get out and try it out. I went to a little local park in the middle of town. Never hunted here even though I go past it all the time for about 25 years.

Well I jumped out of the truck and set out to hunt, I looked across the park and saw some guy swinging what looked like a Ace 350 with a sniper coil. It instantly took a little steam out of me at first, then I watched him swing the darn thing and felt a little better about finding something. He was swinging it about 60mph and like it was a pendulum :icon_scratch: I kid you not he was bringing the coil off the ground about 6 to 8 inches on the end of his swing:laughing7:

So anyways I start hunting with what I thought were my old settings(loaded off exchange 2) that I used on my old machine, Within about 10 minutes I found a 34 wheat, then another and another and another..Just kept getting these darn wheats. It was keeping my hopes up for silver. I was digging only high tones and boy was there lots of junk in this park, TONS of trash..

Well about 1.5 hrs in I get a nice 12/41 and figured it was another wheat and low and behold about 5 inches down was a 1917 S Merc. Finally a Silver!!:hello2: and my oldest MERC. Now for me now I am thinking that was a way low number for a silver dime? It seemed like most of the wheats were ringing low too?? But they all sounded good. So another 30 minutes I get the 44s MERC and again it only rung up at 12-13/ 42?

Anyways I was about to leave since I had to pee like a race horse, But you know how hard it is to quit. Just a couple more minutes, just a couple more I kept saying to my self, Well am right in the middle of where that guy who had been detecting was at now, I see chicken scratch everywhere he had been digging so I figured I would check all his holes, Well I got another 12-43 signal near the base of this big tree right were he had just dug, I figured maybe another dime or Wheat since the readings seem to be weird today. Well I get to digging and of course there is a couple big ole roots. About 6 inches down I See this beautiful WALKER sitting there, I snatch it up and am just beeming thinking how did that guy miss this signal??? I put the walker down on the ground and thought well I better make sure there is not a spill going here. So I put the pinpointer back in the hole and it starts a singing. So I think to myself oh yea maybe another merc or maybe a Washington. But it is still under the root I was fighting,. I as carefully as I could I put my digger back in there under the root trying to pry another clump of dirt out. Out falls the second Walker!!!:thumbsup:

SO I put little nicks on both of the walkers with them darn roots but heck I am super happy with these finds. Both are 1945 walkers!! So I thought I had to Pee before now I was absolutely floating. Cleaned up my plug and said lets get out of here it is getting dark. I start swinging making a beeline to the truck and boom I get a 12-46 signal. Nice and strong!! Shoot I better dig this I say to my self. Pop the plug and about 5 inches down my pinpointer is right on something but I can not see anything, Finally sift through the dirt and find this blob or what looked like rust and dirt. Come to find out it was a 1943 WAR nickel?? this is my first war nickel with the CTX but a 12-46??

It was my Best day in a long time if ever,

Attachments

• angry_ape.jpg
    angry_ape.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Upvote 22

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer hunt Jackalope! You better check that new CTX cause those numbers sound a bit jacked too!

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt Jackalope! You better check that new CTX cause those numbers sound a bit jacked too!

Yea for sure. I was very confused for sure. the last half I dug with my old CTX was ringing in at 01-40. And I have never had a Silver dime read lower than 12-44

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Haha!
If all your competitors metal detect like the guy in the park I think you don't have too much to worry about
Wtg on the finds!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just when you think you got it all figured out, Minelab throws you some new numbers? Ever since I started water hunting, it taught me to REALLY pay attention to those sounds, I'm still so green, surprised my blue eyes haven't turned green? I have had days with all my machines VDI's are weirded out, funny, everyone always said the 3030 numbers were dead on, trust the force Luke. One thing that works for me, when I am looking at those lying numbers, if they stay the same, or are only off one number, then, I get excited before I dig. I like my Deus much better than that CTX I sold, JMO, I probably couldn't handle the CTX 3030. There was a reason I was a roofer for 32 years and it wasn't because I'm a genius.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent hunt.
That silver is beautiful.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just when you think you got it all figured out, Minelab throws you some new numbers? Ever since I started water hunting, it taught me to REALLY pay attention to those sounds, I'm still so green, surprised my blue eyes haven't turned green? I have had days with all my machines VDI's are weirded out, funny, everyone always said the 3030 numbers were dead on, trust the force Luke. One thing that works for me, when I am looking at those lying numbers, if they stay the same, or are only off one number, then, I get excited before I dig. I like my Deus much better than that CTX I sold, JMO, I probably couldn't handle the CTX 3030. There was a reason I was a roofer for 32 years and it wasn't because I'm a genius.

Yep the sounds, Go by them. One of the main reasons I would take my minelabs over the deus all day long. I owned one and quickly learned it was not for me.

I figured why my readings last night were different then before. Had it in ferrous-coin instead of ground-coin which I always ran before. So it all seems a little clearer. But even with that said I was so much more comfortable having my CTX back.. I personally find it is a much more simple machine to run over the deus. And the tones are so much more pleasing and telling of what is going on in the ground. But in the end I am glad there are so many good choices for detectors now adays for everyone to pick their favorite. I remember back in the 70's it was whites and garret. Boy times have changed :)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you need to get back to that park. Awesome score, 2 walkers, 2 mercs, a 43 nickle, and a field of wheats.

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great double double hunt! Two Walkers in one day is just awesome

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good score on the silvers....that park is nowhere near hunted out....most of my sites are because I'm my own worst competition....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice, Congrats!

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned up the War nickel, It was a weird heavy thick creosote like stuff. Had to chip it off? Here is another pic with the barber I found a couple weeks ago..

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,, that is what I call a hunt,,, Congrats on some excellent Silver.
I tried to help a guy who was swinging his coil like that. He kind of told me to mind my own business,, lol.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HECK of a group of coins there bud!!! Glad you got the CTX workin in your favor.. I would follow that fella around like a hawk!!! CONGRATZ & HH...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer, killer, killer... very well done. Congrats on the epic score!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread