suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
havent figured out the picture thing yet, but what causes a coin to be clipped and are ther any halfs like that that you know. its a 1992 d year?

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin blanks (planchets) are punched out of a strip of metal. If the strip is not fed properly or slips, some of the punches might overlap, creating planchets with a bite (or multiple bites) cut out of it. If those planchets get all the way through stamping and the rest of the coin making process and into circulation, you get a nice error coin that might be worth some money. This page has a good explanation and diagram.

The trick is to tell a clipped planchet from a coin that just got damaged after entering circulation by some guy with Dremel or something.

I posted some notes in another thread about clipped planchet errors:
You can tell genuine clipped planchets from post-mint damage in a couple ways:

1) Curved clips should have roughly the same radius as the coin. So you should be able to fit another coin of the same denomination in the clipped area. Striking distorts it some, so it won't be an exact fit, but it should be close. (Looks good based on the pictures).

2) The edge of the coin inside the clip will have a distinctive appearance (sheared, from the cutting of the planchet, then squashed, from the strike). It will look much different if somebody took a Dremel or something to it. (Can't see from these pictures).

3) With multiple clips, the position and size of the clips should make sense. (Looks good to me.)

4) The features on the coin near the clips will be weaker and "flow" toward the clips because the metal pushes out into the gap. Hard to tell from these pictures, but Chainchomp says it has this. See the dime in my avatar for an example on this.

5) The rim opposite the clip should appear weaker or flattened out due to the "Blakesley effect". The gap creates an imbalance of forces during the strike, so the metal is not squished as hard on the side opposite the gap, and the rim doesn't get pushed up as much. This is harder to see with small clips or multiple clips, but I can see it clearly even in the blurry picture.

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the info guys and by comparing it to the picture that chainchomp is showing mine looks to have the similar type cut on it but mine has only two clips. its a keeper for me and maybe someday it could be worth something suprdave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread