Double die dime?

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I have an interesting situation. I was looking through my loose change, when I came across a dime that appears to be double dyed. I have no experience in this area, so I would like some clarification. Here is a picture of the dime area that I suspect is double dyed.

20200126_154537_HDR.jpg

As you can see, the 8 in the year is hard to make out, even zoomed in.

I compared it to another dime of a similar year. Here is the dime I compared it to.

20200126_154528_HDR.jpg

What do you guys think? Is it double dyed?

I'm still new to collecting coins, so if it's not, it's okay. It's a learning experience.

Jared

So it's probable, then. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I'm putting it in my collection just in case it is double-dyed.

Upvote 0
a clear cropped full pic of both sides to examine please
there does appear to be doubling of the devices on the obverse....correct terminology...doubled die
great eye

Upvote 0
That would be a cool find take it to a coin shop most will look at it in hand for free if they charge go somewhere else .

Upvote 0
That would be a cool find take it to a coin shop most will look at it in hand for free if they charge go somewhere else .

I'll see if there's a coin shop here in town where I can take it.

Upvote 0
Thank you. You just made my day. Believe it or not, this is the first error in a coin I've ever found.

It's going into the collection with my Eisenhower dollar, my Susan B Anthony dollar, and my other cool coins.

Jared

Upvote 0
just letting you all know that I met a coin expert. He's helping me out with figuring out the dime. I'll let you all know what he says.

Upvote 0
Well, it's not double died. That's what the coin expert just told me. I apologize for getting everyone excited.

Upvote 0
I think is a mishap in the stamping. My understanding a real double die is produced by a screwed-up die that mints a certain amount of the same defective coins, before an inspector catches it and swaps the die. Those errors make it into circulation and become coveted by collectors. I'm not sure there's a lot of collectability in singular error coins, but I believe there's a few who like to collect the not-so-perfect mint produced examples of various types.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back