Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Hey sandcreek. How did your daughter makeout? Anything on the ground yet? I know you was asking Kuger about how far a buck will travel. I have a friend of mine who had a ten pointer on his trail camara all summer long and come fall he set up where his camara was hoping to take him. Well low and behold I shot the deer and I was a good distance away. I knew it was the deer he had on camara the second I saw him, he had showed me a ton of pics of him. So I took a hand held gps one day and marked where the camara was and marked where I shot the deer and it was almost exactly 7 miles in a straight line. Now the other cool thing is he had the deer on camara where he was 2 days before I shot him. So he must have been on a mission. Sorry for the long story, just thought I would chime in. Hope you all had a great thanksgiving. :hello:
Hey mainer! My daughter got a nice 9 point and my husband got a 12 point. They hunted hard and heavy to get them, too. The full moon had them messed up and the weather was just too warm for the first few days of the season. Here's a picture and thanks for the story! I've been wondering how far a buck would travel in his territory.
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving, too :hello: .

Attachments

• IMG_7642 (650x482).jpg
    IMG_7642 (650x482).jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 414

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That is great. Great photo. So happy for her Carmon. Thanks so much for sharing. Take care and my best to you and your family for the holidays. :hello:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great lookin deer ! Both of them ! Love that your keeping us up on Elliot ! Jeffs first deer had a antler that was growing down the side of his face. I wish i still had that head !

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
Great lookin deer ! Both of them ! Love that your keeping us up on Elliot ! Jeffs first deer had a antler that was growing down the side of his face. I wish i still had that head !
Thanks, MG! Bucks probably injure their heads more than what we ever know or see.
(I told Josie that Elliot's mama must have dropped him on his head when he was born to cause that :laughing7: .)
:hello:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic bucks and as Mainer said GREAT pic.That would make me real proud right there....priceless pic right there!!!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Fantastic bucks and as Mainer said GREAT pic.That would make me real proud right there....priceless pic right there!!!
Thanks kuger---I am so proud of her.....She made a heck of a shot with her .22-250 Remington. The buck was about 250 yards and running away when she shot him. She missed the first shot and jacked another shell in and hit him and he dropped!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stag58.jpg

That is too cool Sand!!!Women have always been crackshots...my Dad always said it was cause they have no heart!!! :laughing7:

Here is a buck my buddy has on his place that is what we call a stag(they have no testicles,and they USUALLY do not ever shed there horns/antlers.They also stay in the velvet.They are always very healthy,like a steer,but you can see that this guy has double "drops",as well :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Stag58.jpg

That is too cool Sand!!!Women have always been crackshots...my Dad always said it was cause they have no heart!!! :laughing7:

Here is a buck my buddy has on his place that is what we call a stag(they have no testicles,and they USUALLY do not ever shed there horns/antlers.They also stay in the velvet.They are always very healthy,like a steer,but you can see that this guy has double "drops",as well :thumbsup:
That's pretty wild looking, kuger! Your friend "cut" this buck on purpose? Do his horns just keep growing? Or is that as big as the horns will get? What about body weight---will he get fat like a steer? :icon_scratch:
REALLY neat picture, kuger!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!I did an article in Trophy Hunter Magazine years ago hoping to strike up some info,but didnt really get any concrete evidence,on HOW exactly this happens.They actually have testes but they are peanut sized.Somebody did write in saying that they were roped and castrated,but I assure you that is not the case!!!Ever tried to rope a deer?? :laughing7:We seem to always find them at a certain elevation,and habitat,kind of arid,and usually great Tick habitat.My grandfather whom took MANY stags in his day(he used to hold out for them,cause yes they are usually fat like a steer)always thought that Ticks had something to do with it.When he was young he raised a few orphaned buck fawns and castrated them(so they wouldnt become agressive,and hurt us kids)If they were under a year old when he did this,they didnt grow any antlers at all,it seemed the older they were,when this happened the larger there horns were.In the last few years there has been some ENORMOUS Mule Deer stags taken,that almost dont even look real.That also brings up an interesting obsevation of mine.....it is VERY rare to find this (Stags)in Whitetail deer.I have taken one.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another stag on the ranch now
stag2.jpg

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info Kuger. Just out of curiousity, what would one of those stags weigh? Like the one in your last pic? Looks like around a couple hundred pounds? Just was wondering how big they got.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These Blacktails dont get real big Mainer,average around 115 lbs or so.We have taken them up to 175 though. :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandcreek,to better answer your question.Some do shed there antlers,but the antler is really light and has a pithy core,and they do grow back another abnormal set.The others that dont shed seem to continue to grow,somewhere I have pics of a stag that I watched and photographed for several years,and showed the progression,it was pretty neat.....then he was shot.He had 31 points........and no fork anywhere!

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Excellent trophy picture :hello2: He's creating great memories for her, by taking her hunting. And what an intresting thread this is, thanks for the info kuger :hello:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve71 said:
great pics thanks for the look
Thanks Steve!
kuger said:
Sandcreek,to better answer your question.Some do shed there antlers,but the antler is really light and has a pithy core,and they do grow back another abnormal set.The others that dont shed seem to continue to grow,somewhere I have pics of a stag that I watched and photographed for several years,and showed the progression,it was pretty neat.....then he was shot.He had 31 points........and no fork anywhere!
Well, now we'll know what might be the cause if we ever see a whitetail that's still in the velvet when he shouldn't be, Kuger.
I love to watch these deer and see how they behave.....I never used to think about them staying in one particular area or how each one has individual traits that we can recognize. Thanks so much for all the information and the pictures :thumbsup: .
naturegirl said:
Excellent trophy picture :hello2: He's creating great memories for her, by taking her hunting. And what an intresting thread this is, thanks for the info kuger :hello:
Thanks Lisa! Yes, its something that she'll carry with her for the rest of her life. I think my husband enjoys her getting a deer more than him getting one. Josie says he has more "buck fever" than she does ;D .
I've got one more picture to show you guys and gals---This is the "Tall Buck". He's another buck that's been coming in for the last four years. He's also the one who lost an eye in a fight with another buck(last year I think) and he's the only buck that we've got with the double throat patch. We don't have any daytime pictures of him yet, but we have him on the trail camera---notice how the flash on the camera just picked up his one eye :icon_pirat: . Josie made a collage of him to show how he's grown.
Thanks for all the comments!!

Attachments

• TheTallBuck (650x520).jpg
    TheTallBuck (650x520).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 299
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Old Elliot is still around!
Cool.

I have been watching that fella for a couple years now. Great pics
Yep, he's still around....Just a little banged up, but still kicking.
Lots of fun to watch---I hope he lives to see another year.
Thanks Mike :hello: .

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

You live in a very beautifull place :o great pictures, wish wild life could be that close to my property :notworthy:

SS

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont' have them close enogh to see out my door wish I did! But if I go to the store and drive bout a block away park in the bank lot I can watch deer, To close for some a man 2 nights ago on his motorcycle hit a doe. Dont know how he is he was airlifted. They are to thick for the traffic !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread