DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some research and used Google Earth for the first time to really get a birdseye view of where I wanted to hunt. When I got to the location, I found it was a contolled access area owned by the City.

I almost drove on by but decided I would go in and ask for permission. When I walked in, I had a big smile on my face and got right to the point. I got permission immediately with the warning that 8 or 9 folks had already been there this year and found nothing so I would probably be wasting my time.

To make a long story short, I targeted what looked like a depression of an old roadway that ran between two large oak trees. I had these two coins in my pocket in the first 10 minutes. The slick Barber came first and I thought it was modern when I hit it because it was right on top of the ground about 1/2 inch deep. That coin has seen some swapping of hands before it found its way into the ground! The 1872 Seated Dime was next at about the same depth nearby. I guess the compacted ground of the old road bed kept them from sinking.

I hunted a little while longer and covered only about 1/10th of the area available to hunt. I plan on saving the area to take my young sons to for a chance for them to find old silver!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Double Silver 002.jpg
    Double Silver 002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 540
Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I would call that a very successful research job, with coins to prove it.

Well done, DaChief! No place is ever hunted out!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coins.

I love the idea of saving a site for another time. Takes some real restraint, but I guess its different when you've got kids. Nice idea.

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones
Very nice finds you got there, I hope you did'nt tell the rangers what you found so they keep telling everyone there's nothing there ;D
Hope your boys do as good and find some real old Silver.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love the finds DaChief ! congrats , and i wish you luck on your hunt when you get back to that site ;)

OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks! I will report on what the boys find when I take them there! I hope they get there first 1800's Silver. I am getting old as dirt myself and want to pass the hobby on to them. Some 1800's silver might just do the trick!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800's silver will definitely get them hooked. I'm glad you found a few keepers there. I bet there have been some other finds there in the past. If I found something at a site like that I don't think I would tell anybody. I'm sure thats what has gone on in the past. I hope that site continues to produce for you and your kids.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Chief-- that seated dime is a beauty.
Congrats on those nice finds.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are nice.

Seated and a barber is a great day for sure. I dug a nice seated last week. No site is hunted out. I bet there is a few more back there.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread