DOUBLE Ouch!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another neighbor stopped by! This fellow is a little more sinister. He is already dead in this pic. TOO close to the house to be allowed to stay. 100 feet or so from the back door. Measured him at 2 feet 8 inches, sans head and rattle. The head has been buried and the rattle goes to Bella (11 yrs), the one that found it. TTC Snake.jpg

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gotta do wat u gotta do him over your family any day!!!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gotta do wat u gotta do him over your family any day!!!
We also have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Too many noses to be sniffing around at this guy! Tnx, T. TTC

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't THINK he's a diamondback. Any herpetologists out there? Found 70 miles east of Sacramento, CA (Murphys). At 3000 feet. (6-16-12). TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Northern Pacific Rattlesnake. TimC
I looked up the CA snake page and I agree. If it weren't for the rattles, I would have guessed Gopher snake. Very similar. Tnx, T. TTC

Last edited:

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
TC I beleive that to be a Western Rattlesnake , Crotalus viridus very common through out the Westren Untied States . There are sevreal subspecies including the Grand Canyon Rattlesnake , Airzona Black Rattlesnake , Midget Faded Rattlesnake , Southren Pacific Rattlesnake , Great Basin Rattlesnake , Hopi Rattlesnake and the Northren Pacific Rattlesnake which I beleive yours to be . Of all the rattlesnakes the Western Rattlesnake has the biggest range and can be found at the bottom of the Grand Canyon to the top of the Serria Nevada's . Depending on the species they can be from 1'6" to 5' in length . Hoss

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx all. I would probably bet it is a Northern Pacific. Subspecies, Dead. I Normally don't kill snakes but kids around the house nearly every weekend. So.... sorry snake. TTC

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't live out there so I'll leave the ID to the folks that do. Definitely not a diamondback, but definitely a rattler, therefore a venomous snake. You killed it! *Gasp!* Had I encountered this rascal out in the field, he would have went his way and I mine. However, too close to the house, so good deal you spotted it and killed it. Hope it's the only one. You do realize that now its mate will be on a mission to hunt you down and kill you, don't you? (haha! Old wives tale from the Choctaw Nation. Pretty sure it's an old wives tale.)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I HOPE it's a wive's tale! Did you know... A rattler will live out its life within a mile of where it was born? And that it will use the same den year after year? I read that somewhere years ago. Tnx, RGINN. TTC

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I pretty much knew that, bein from rattlesnake country. That boy of mine does know snakes better than all of us put together. He has research published in 'Herpetologica', kinda like the end all be all for snake researchers. I won't bother him, but one question I did have, is this the adult or the immature version of the species? If that's a young one, you got more to watch for. To me, the number of rattles present from sheds in the pic indicates an adult rattler, maybe two or three years old, even though it's not that big.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I pretty much knew that, bein from rattlesnake country. That boy of mine does know snakes better than all of us put together. He has research published in 'Herpetologica', kinda like the end all be all for snake researchers. I won't bother him, but one question I did have, is this the adult or the immature version of the species? If that's a young one, you got more to watch for. To me, the number of rattles present from sheds in the pic indicates an adult rattler, maybe two or three years old, even though it's not that big.
Adult version. 8 rattles. Yes, kinda skinny for a 2 or 3 year old. Guess the pickin's around here are slim. Tnx, my friend. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread