Double sluice

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys quick question, I'm considering moding my a52 into a double sluice. It would have a upper sluice with the dredge riffles and the lower sluice with the standard riffles. My thought is that if I limit the flow of water to the lower sluice my fine gold recovery would go up. The area I am working is nothing but fine gold so the top sluice would not really be doing much other then getting rid of the bigger stuff ie: the stuff that wont fit through my 1/4" punch plate but in reality I know it would also trap some gold as I have to limit the punch plate area feeding the lower sluice other wise it would have to much water speed and wash the riffles clean. Does this sound like a good idea or does anyone have a better idea on how to set up my sluice for a 2.5 suction nozzle? The diverter that I had on it while working excellent at ejecting the big stuff was also losing gold out the sides and I was also losing gold out the rear of the sluice. Any ideas or sugestions would be welcomed!!
Thanks.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sluice is way to short in height to facilitate the water flow and will easily overflow and away goes everything. Height is what ya need more of. My ol'PESCO company introduced over/under classification over 30 years ago and when done properly works good on any size dredge,but 4" would be the smallest I'd go as you just don't move much with anything smaller-John

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My upper sluice would be a whole sluice insert with taller sides if that would make a difference

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread