Doubleclick Is SPYWARE. Why is it loading on my computer at THIS FORUM?

S

Smee

First of all, delete any cookies that are named "Double click". They are tracking cookies.

Here's what one reputable antivirus site had to say about it: Computer Associates / Pest Patrol

Here's what Wikipedia had to say:

DoubleClick is often linked with the controversy over spyware because browser HTTP cookies are set to track users as they travel from website to website and record what commercial advertisements they view and select while browsing.[6] DoubleClick is considered to be malware by several commercial organizations (Adaware, Symantec, Spybot) which detect it and provide the tools to block/remove it.

DoubleClick has also been criticized for misleading users by offering an opt-out option that is insufficiently effective. According to a San Francisco IT consulting group, although the opt-out option affects cookies, DoubleClick does not allow users to opt out of IP address-based tracking.[7]

DoubleClick with MSN were shown serving malware via drive-by download exploits by a group of attackers for some time in December 2010.[8]

DoubleClick is also among many sites listed in many secure hosts files.[9] These files redirect outgoing data back to the User's computer, and are seen as an effective countermeasure.
(bold, underline and color added)

And what could those "drive-by downloads" be? Viruses and other spyware.

Not a very nice way to treat the forum members.

I didn't just find out about it, I just got tired of seeing it come up in No Script's list of "untrusted sites" that try to access my computer when I come here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread