Doubling back pays off!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I decided to go out on a somewhat dreary day to recheck a property that I had hunted a while back. It was a lite drizzle and a bit chilly but when the bug gets you, you gotta go. Fresh from finding that 1844 Canada Half Penny I still had the fever to get out. So this property is right around the corner from my house, needless to say if the rain picked up I could make a mad dash for the car and home.
I started out checking around the barn at this place which was dated around late 1800's early 1900's. Came up with some clad coinage but nothing great. Decided to double back over the area I hit before that produced a 1917 Mercury Dime. I figured it had rained all night before and was hoping that the signals may have that halo effect so I just might get lucky. Well I did get lucky and snagged a pristine 1943 Mercury from the front yard. That is the best looking Mercury I have found I think. Went on after that to grab up another nice Crotal Bell, this one a bit bigger than the last one I found on the last hunt here, and just a few yards away. Pulled a few other items out including this Scovill Best Double Gilt button. Please if you have any info on the age of this one let me know. I am rather clueless on button identification. Not really sure what the heck this bigger button looking thing with a "T" on the front is either. The back is kinda rusty. The last whatsit is this little rock looking thing that sounded like a dime signal but when the end broke off it appears to be a crystal/ mirror type material and rather heavy for it's size. Any guesses?
So I suppose doubling back over some property, especially when it has rained(or raining on you) will most likely treat you to some decent finds. Goodluck to all and stay safe out there... JGAS

Attachments

• Jackson 1.JPG
    Jackson 1.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 743
  • Jackson 2.JPG
    Jackson 2.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 743
  • Jackson 3.JPG
    Jackson 3.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 746
  • Jackson 4.JPG
    Jackson 4.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 734
  • Jackson 5.JPG
    Jackson 5.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 735
  • Jackson 6.JPG
    Jackson 6.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 740
  • Jackson 7.JPG
    Jackson 7.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 734
  • Jackson 8.JPG
    Jackson 8.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 738
  • Jackson 9.JPG
    Jackson 9.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 739
  • Jackson 10.JPG
    Jackson 10.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 0

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya gotta hit and re-hit any area. Your post is proof. i bet if you go back yet again, you'll be posting, yet again.

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
I see you found a few zinc lids (ceramic part).I would like to have a dollar for every one that
I have dug in the last two years.I wouldn't have to work anymore.But anyway congrats on your finds.
I like that bell :thumbsup:

fortbball9

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Very nice relics and Merc

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
So I suppose doubling back over some property...will treat you to some more decent finds

It works every time for me too, jgas. I go back to parks 20-30 times, and still get the oldies.

Nice finds, my friend!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds, the item with the "T" on it is a horse bridle rosette, cool find! 8)

Steve

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
scovills - 1827 - 1840 flat botton --- the term gilt was the "plating" that made the button look good -- thus double was better than "single" standard thickness --- button makers often "puffed" up their product withh these terms like "best double gilt" flat button were very common from about 1800 to 1840 ish time era --with the adverage age of generally found "flat buttons" thoughof as about the as 1820ish time frame

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I REALLY like that bell too! Very nice!! GREAT looking merc as well! :icon_pirat: AND you found a 1844 half penny!?! :o I must have missed that post! :P You're having a super spring season of hunting, JG! 8)

Nana :)

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Though blurry, the small object(s) that you found looks like the mineral Galena. Mined for lead, that would account for the extra weight that you commented on. Good hunting, Geologyjohn

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
Very good finds. i really like the way you use the blueplate
special. It really is a good background. Jimbob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread