Dovetail masterpiece

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I've been attending estate auctions for 15 years looking for relics and in the last two weeks I've had the chance to acquire the best two pieces in my collection. Needless to say it's been a great couple of weeks. I was able to acquire this masterpiece today and I got to talk to the finder who was attending the sale. It was found about 70 years ago in Colona Township in Henry County, Illinois. It measures 6-1/8" long and I had to get a shot of it in my hand for scale. This is one of the top dovetails I have ever seen much less had the chance to own. And, to get all the info from the finder was amazing. I've hunted the area this point was found most of my life so it makes this even more special. Thanks for the look and enjoy!

Hippy

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

They just don't get much better than that. That has to be one of the best Doves I have ever seen. I bet the set you back a pretty penny, but worth every cent. Is it made from Burlington?

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greatest dovetail one I have seen! Illinois has some of the best. The material makes it amazing. Thanks for the post/view!

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
wow! found 70 years ago, and you got to talk to the finder? I'm sure he/she was happy to see it go to a good home, and be appreciated, thanks for sharing....

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MObushwhacker said:
I think I have seen that point before Look up gray ghost arrowheads on the computer
Hope I am wrong

Trust me, that is no Gray Ghost. Hippy knows his artifacts and would not be fooled by a fake. That is the real deal and about as good as it gets when it comes to Doves.

OP
OP
H

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still floating on cloud 9 with this one. I've been playing with it since I got it home.

It was a surface find on the bluffs of the Rock River. I was talking to the wife of the finder and she was complaining that her husband "only liked to pick up the big ones." She would follow along and pick up all the small ones too. LOL!!! There were a couple of other good pieces in the group and I'll post pictures of them later. One was a Hixton Cobbs that's 6" long and a fluted axe.

Also, I'm 150% comfortable with it's authenticity. This is about as no-brainer as a 6" dovetail gets.

Hippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread