DOWN IN FLAMES

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally got the gumption up to go ask for a permission for this 1900 house that I have been dreaming about detecting since I started detecting a few months ago. This was actually my first attempt at asking for a permission and while the owner told me no it wasn't as bad as I thought, reason given is that they had let others detect in the past and they left the yard trashed with holes everywhere. Well in hindsight I could have regaled here with evidence of my integrity, character and boy scout upbringing, but at that moment all I could say was "I'm sorry that others have ruined it for those of us who follow the rules". Lesson learned for me, be better prepared to respond to the first rebuff, ALWAYS fill my holes, and door knocking isn't really all that bad, I mean they can't eat you and they can't take away your birthday, they can only say no.

HH

Upvote 14

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
You did just fine.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to stand out from others, offer to show them all the finds & share any doubles with them.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait till midnight.
I kid, I kid.
Hopefully it's in an area where if you've gotten permission to detect before,
word of mouth might come back to her that you were respectable with their lawns,
and she changes her mind.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timing and preparation for acquiring permissions I believe is crucial for gaining them. You only get ONE chance at making a FIRST impression. Have your list of references from other permissions if any and some of your more notable finds with you. Dress appropriately and be clean in appearance as some folks would certainly rather not have shabby looking characters running around their property. Approach them while they are out in the yard when possible rather than interrupting their dinner or any other social activities. If we present a "professional" and considerate approach to our sport we stand a better chance of getting the YES' we seek. Negotiating the finds may come into play and offering to return ANY or ALL personal recoveries can be a trump card in our hands. Also free services to recover ANY lost metal items the property owner ever encounters can be another bargaining chip. Location being the KEY to great recoveries asking permission to access potential hot spots is the way to go. I am finally getting bolder to do so after many years beating tired old public sights. Good fortune on your quest for greener pastures, woods, fields, lawns, creeks, rivers, lakes, etc.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but at that moment all I could say was "I'm sorry that others have ruined it for those of us who follow the rules".

HH

Actually used that answer myself before, and sometimes that may just be the best answer. I'm not going to try to convince people who are already opposed that I'll do better than those before. Those who show no respect for other people's (or even public) property ruin it for everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread