Down in the dumps UPDATE ~ U.S.N. BUCKLE

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, this evening my boy and I did a little sifting at the old river side dump for about an hour and a half. We got a little rain shower just as we were leaving, finally!!! I almost forgot what rain felt like. We walked away with a couple of nice keepers though...... An old cracker Jack token, I believe is from the 30's, and what looks like a turquoise marble?

Has anyone ever seen or know of any marbles being made of turquoise?

Any info on either of these items would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN1177.JPG
    DSCN1177.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 985
  • DSCN1178.JPG
    DSCN1178.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 996
  • DSCN1181.JPG
    DSCN1181.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 986
Upvote 0

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Down in the dumps

sweeeet! I found a 1997 chucky cheese tokin today but that rocks :headbang:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Neat marble! Sounds like you all had some fun!

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I appreciate the replies guys! My son (13) is the curator to his own little museum with the better items that we have found together , totalling over 300 now, and through his research, and my input, knows what each one is and some history behind it :read2:

He is also more than happy to show it off to anyone who even shows the slightest interst. ;D :thumbsup:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Nothing like doing a little treasure hunting with your son, :icon_thumright: ! That token is nice shape, sorry I don't much about marbles except I like to find them. He must have a nice little museum and he will pretty knowledgeable about items as he gets older.

TommNJ

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Post the marble in the Marble forum here (about half way down) - they should give you more info on it. Looks like glass, not real turquoise, but I am not a marble person.

It's always great to see kids interested in history!!!!
Tigger

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, we sifted a little again this afternoon for about an hour and came up with this U.S.N. buckle. First impression is from WW2 era? Please feel free to chime in with any ideas.

Thanks, R&D

Attachments

• DSCN1196.JPG
    DSCN1196.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 629
  • DSCN1192.JPG
    DSCN1192.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 634
  • DSCN1201.JPG
    DSCN1201.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 633

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who used to turn Cripple Creek Turq into marbles , in the late 70s and the 80s. Have dug hundreds of marbles will bottle digging,but have never found one made of turq,but that doesnt mean there arent any. Nice finds ,Congrats !!! :icon_thumright:

Mortifercain

Aug 11, 2011
indiana
wow nice finds man you and your son cleaned up. kinda bummer on the buckle very nice looking buckle. just bury it in the yard for a couple years and dig it back up with patina no one will know the difference and we will never tell. *flex* >=)

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Tigger said:
Here's an ebay USN buckle with the same top but different back - your back looks older to me, but that's just a guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Military-Themed-BELT-BUCKLES-USN-VFW-WWII-/370534426447

Tigger, thanks for the link. I quess this is just a commemorative buckle and not a military issue looks like.

I think yours looks more original than the ebay one. Wouldn't yours fit a web belt? Do you have an Army Navy surplus kinda store near you? My boys dragged me into one on vacation and the guy there had a mini museum of sorts, knew a lot. Might be a good resource if you have one nearby, or a Veterans group. Don't write it off just yet!!
Tigger

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So your thinking that the ebay one is a copy of a "real"one? This came from the same dump that I found a Korean war era dogtag T-52....and have not been able to find any info on this particular buckle. Thanks for your input.

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an old Cracker Jack token as well a few months ago. They are kind of cool!

Attachments

• DSCF2542.jpg
    DSCF2542.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 219

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions