Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here lookin the country over today. Not a bad day, not snowing, up in the 40's, but a little windy. That first pic is where Clear Creek comes down to the Arkansas River. Those guys do a lot of prospecting there in the summer. Active claim across the road there on the river, and probably active claims all along the Arkansas all the way down past Salida. And for anyone coming up here, as far as I know you can walk all over an active claim, unless it is specifically posted no trespassing. You can not do any kind of prospecting on a claim without permission.
4-11u.jpg
4-11w.jpg
4-11x.jpg
4-11y.jpg
4-11z.jpg

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the sun glare in that one pic. I was in a hurry on that shot and didn't spot it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody claimed anything on the Arkansas when I lived within walking distance to it. One time hunting for artifacts around 1983, I came up on two fellas with a dredge in the water. I ask if they were finding anything and they asked me first if it was OK to run their dredge as though I owed the place. I just said, heck if I know, ain't nobody ever around that I've ever come across wandering in this area. I'm out walking along this river about every chance I get and never see anyone. They said they've been finding nothing but flecks is all. One time it was mentioned I was seen walking out along the river. It was a girlfriend of mine who worked at the prison. She said I was spotted by some prison coworkers of hers as a prisoner went missing. Those fellas out looking for this escapee spotted me with their binoculars as they were searching along the old Midland road and knew who I was and told her they saw me out wondering around the day before on the other side of the river.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky they knew who you were, TR. There's a lot of claim markers along the Arkansas now, more than there was 20 years ago, got to look to see some of them. Only place I've seen any enforcement was down by Rincon, on the north side of the river, where a guy would actually come out and run people off of his claim who were poking around. Tourists mainly, who didn't have much of an effect at all on the claim. If he was smart, he should have put up a sign charging them $10 a day at your own risk, pan all you want, keep all you find. He would have made good money off that deal.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky they knew who you were, TR. There's a lot of claim markers along the Arkansas now, more than there was 20 years ago, got to look to see some of them. Only place I've seen any enforcement was down by Rincon, on the north side of the river, where a guy would actually come out and run people off of his claim who were poking around. Tourists mainly, who didn't have much of an effect at all on the claim. If he was smart, he should have put up a sign charging them $10 a day at your own risk, pan all you want, keep all you find. He would have made good money off that deal.
You definitely gotta wash and clean out a lot of material to get a dollars worth of gold in that river. I'd do a bit panning from time to time after we all got layed off at Climax. It was a fun and peaceful time out on a warm sunny day along that river. Not much of a crowd of folks around after the mine shut down. Not at all like today. When the summer to fall weekends come around in my neighborhood they all head for the mountains. All these miles of bike trails here in Boulder County are where I now spend a lot of my get away from the crowds now. Not a lot of folks use them and Boulder County is 50% open space lands. I even find artifacts in one area that's never been developed or even dug up by a plow. I'm not supposed to leave the trails we're it's at and one time a young fella was walking towards me and seeing he was sporting a Smoky the Bear hat he hollard for me to come over for a talk. He told me I was doing something I wasn't supposed to do. He said it was a critical area for Burrowing Owls, which I already knew. He walked me to one of these slat shaped signs posted along the trail that says, STAY ON TRAIL, so I could see it. He didn't take my name and was just was doing his duty in a very friendly kind of way.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the sun glare in that one pic. I was in a hurry on that shot and didn't spot it.
I had to go back and look closely before I saw it. I will let it go this time, but it better hadn't happen again! :laughing7:

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite up to your level of expertise yet, fyrffytr1, hahaha! I'll watch it in the future. Eventually TR, I can see them making us all stay on the marked trails only everywhere. All those front range folks head for the mountains, and all us mountain folks head for Utah. Even me, in about a month and a half.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite up to your level of expertise yet, fyrffytr1, hahaha! I'll watch it in the future. Eventually TR, I can see them making us all stay on the marked trails only everywhere. All those front range folks head for the mountains, and all us mountain folks head for Utah. Even me, in about a month and a half.
Utah. Take a run though the LA Sal way either there or back. It's my favorite way to go. Very peaceful drive and the view of the San Jauns is spectacular.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_103200_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_103200_Maps.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread