Down South Deerskin Trade Artifacts

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Here's some Indian trade items I dug in one area in an afternoon. The musketballs were basically trade caliber, from .50 to .62 in caliber. May need some help on id for surrounding items. Starting from the six o'clock position, I dug out of a circular pit what appears to be the blade of a knife. Then going clockwise I was surprised to dig this small brass rattle with a loop like a button. Could it be a button rattle? After retrieving it from the ground I shook it and it actually rattled. Then going on around I dug this object I'm not sure of but am guessing it is a jaw screw from a trade musket or pistol? The ferrous wire with a loop and piece of copper wire attached- I have no idea- maybe part of tool for musket? Then a small nail from the period and finally a very damaged hollow, pewter button with shank intact.
Any id help on the first three items?

Thanks,
Cap

Attachments

• 000_1168.JPG
    000_1168.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. I believe I see a crushed what they can Hawk bell. Too bad on you pewter button there. The piece of blade you have may have a Makers Markon it if you clean it up. Not sure about the other 2. Thanks for sharing.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Item with wire attached may have been a vent pick for a flintlock as the wire suggests a possible chain of other similar pieces and the context of there being roundballs found in area.. Not sure if cap to left of it could have held horse hair for a flintlock's pan brush.

OP
OP
C

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am confident that you nailed it on the hawk bell. Thank you for the input.

OP
OP
C

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A vent pick is a very plausible assumption due to gun parts being found in area earlier. The cap thing I thought may be a jaw screw broke off but there's no grip or hole through top to screw it down. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread