Downtown Tacoma....silver medallion, Gold Brooch/Pin?????

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21

Attachments

• Brooch.JPG
    Brooch.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCN4789.jpg
    DSCN4789.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 313
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 291
  • Wheats 21st. April.jpg
    Wheats 21st. April.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 264
  • Pin Wheat.jpg
    Pin Wheat.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Brooch .jpg
    Brooch .jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
nice job on the silver medallion and the three wheaties! JuJu has a kit that tests to see if the brooch is gold or not. You should ask him if you could come by and use it. He lives in Tacoma also as you know. lol

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
You've found a US Army Major's insignia. The older one's were 1/20th 10 or 14K gold filled, but the more modern ones had even less or none.It will have markings if there is gold content.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what you have is a collar rank badge of---- "Major (in the army, marines or air force) or Lt. Commander (naval)--- it is a " gold filled" (older ones) or gold "toned "(plated) "oak leaf"---(if modern) ---it is used in US naval commands like the navy and coast guard as well.

when I was in the gulf war as dept head on my merchant marine vessel it was my rank equivelant im the military .

the capt of the vessel was equal to a colonel -- the dept heads (directly under him) were equal to the rank of major -- like cheif engineer and cheif mare -- I was "cheif steward"

OP
OP
mcmurphi

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
Well solved that one! I had no clue what it was...thanks NHbenz!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on ya for the silver ! the Oak leaf appears to be a military designation - coronel ( I really don't know how to ,

spell this word - it means a high ranking military officer - that rymes with kearnel ) And I'm good with words. Please

somebody come to my rescue here !!! Argentium.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
that is an Army officer ensignia Major

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
The Lt. Colonel (oddly no "R", though it's pronounced that way) is the same design, but silver. This clearly has the gold which (also oddly, I think) is one rank below that, of Major (in the US Army). I agree with Ivan, this is an older model, based on the clasp type. So it should have some gold content. :)

OP
OP
mcmurphi

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
I'm pretty sure it is a 40's or early 50's vintage military pin then, based on the depth and what else I found near it. There is no markings on the back.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
nope RANK (ARMY, MARINES, AIR FORCE / NAVAL ) runs like this trust me -- Major / Lt Commander -- gold tone oak leaf ---- next rank up is LT colonel / Commander which is a " silver tone" oak leaf - next rank up " full Colonel" is a "bird" Colonel / Naval * Captian (not to be mixed up with the much lower land based rank of two silver bars or " railroad tracks" as they are often called)-- a colonel or naval captian sign is ---a silver colored eagle spread wing--- after that comes Generals -- or Admirals ranked by numbers of stars

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
It's always nice to get a silver religious medallion! That brooch does indeed look to be gold plated too. Great finds! That's one of the things I love about this hobby...ya never know what you're gonna come up with out of the dirt.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread