DR Heating Up

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bobby, thanks for the correction. Not sure what do you mean when you say that "the NAVY found the ship". I presume you refer to the San Jose, which was found by an Canadian-American consortium. The original work was conducted from a Colombian oceanographic vessel named Mal Pelo, that was charted by the consortium. Allegedly, Woodshole provided the technology. The NAVY did not find the shipwreck, even though they can take credits for being part of the project. President Santos bragged a little about the role of his government and its institutions, but I think that is normal and valid since he worked so hard to make this law, and the subsequent discovery of the SJ, a reality. Also, Colombia is not a signatory to the UNESCO 2001 Convention, and for what I'm hearing in the underwater archaeology community, after almost 20 years the Convention is starting to loose some of its appeal and a few countries are reconsidering the ratification of the treaty. We will see... And this is why is so important that Colombia succeds in its endeavors.

MAI
Its just what I heard,I have no facts to add to this. Maybe you could look into more,I will also see what I can find, I am not interested in Columbia as far as GME is concerned, we have no intentions of going there so I really do not focus on stuff we are not involved in.But Columbia would be a great place for any company that could work there legally.If they had a iron tight contract with congress ratification.

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
John Mattera and John Chatterton from several years ago on the Silver Banks, before the present indefinite moratorium.
John M. posted these pictures in my Shipwreck Hunters Facebook group.
Speaking of which, anyone hear anything about Mattera and Chatterton and their quest for the San Miguel (1551)?

I just finished Kurson's Pirate Hunters, the story of Bowden, Chatterton, Mattera and their crew in search of Bannister's Golden Fleece. A fascinating tale, especially the perseverance, passion and brief window into legendary treasure hunters like Jack Haskins.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tanneyhill this thread is over 6 years old. Everything has changed.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Haven’t been on TN in quite some time.
Concerning the DR?
Things have gone completely upside down but no longer my story to tell.
Just beware of “famous divers”, they give treasure hunting a bad name.
DL
Hi Lynn!! Coming to the Cookout on Saturday?

About the DR- all I know for sure is that everything I have heard in reference to projects in the DR has evaporated like smoke on the water. I've heard plots, plans, schemes and Grand Schemes, but what I have not heard is how anything can happen when the Dominican Constitution (I have been told) states in 13 places that anything that can be construed to be 'cultural heritage' CANNOT be possessed by anyone but The State or it's appointee.
This law from the DR spells it out clearly https://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text/492289
We won't be doing any sort of commercial historical shipwreck salvage archaeology there anytime soon and if someone tells you that they 'know a general that will look the other way for 50K USD' or even $24.95...run Forrestt run and take your money and boat(s) and equipment with you to safety. :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions