74.5 KB · Views: 666

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dr Peter's Stomach Vigor, pine tree amythest bottle

That's a nice bottle, although I can't help you on age. Are you interested in selling it? PM me if you are. Thanks!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Here's an article I found. Now, what I don't know is, was it liquid or pills in the bottle? Read halfway down, it says they were sent to Texas, even though you found it in New Mexico!

Hope this is it!
Annmarie

Attachments

• 11-28-2008 10-26-57 PMa.jpg
    11-28-2008 10-26-57 PMa.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 528
  • 11-28-2008 10-51-33 PM.jpg
    11-28-2008 10-51-33 PM.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 601

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

thank you Annmarie for that research. that ad is dated 1840. this bottle has no pontil mark, so im guessing lat 18's. the seam ends half way up the neck. one strange thing is they sold millions of these according to the ad, but i have yet to find even one on the market or in books........ hmmmmm

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

chong2 said:
thank you Annmarie for that research. that ad is dated 1840. this bottle has no pontil mark, so im guessing lat 18's. the seam ends half way up the neck. one strange thing is they sold millions of these according to the ad, but i have yet to find even one on the market or in books........ hmmmmm

You are quite welcomed! I can't say that the articles I found are what were in the bottle, but I would almost bet that DR PETER is DR JOSEPH PRIESTLY PETER.

I tried to search various keywords and couldn't find more than what I found. I found other articles about Dr. Peter, but I am not sure if they are the same, as one was listed as a photographer, another an astromoner, and then one talks of Dr. Peter taking someone to court for making false statements about him. I'll see if I can find anything else.

It would be great to find one more of these bottles, so then you would have a base to determine any value to it! Will post if I can find anything else!

Nice find!
Annmarie

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ron and Ann said:
chong2 said:

You are quite welcomed! I can't say that the articles I found are what were in the bottle, but I would almost bet that DR PETER is DR JOSEPH PRIESTLY PETER.

I tried to search various keywords and couldn't find more than what I found. I found other articles about Dr. Peter, but I am not sure if they are the same, as one was listed as a photographer, another an astromoner, and then one talks of Dr. Peter taking someone to court for making false statements about him. I'll see if I can find anything else.

It would be great to find one more of these bottles, so then you would have a base to determine any value to it! Will post if I can find anything else!

Nice find!
Annmarie
it has the date right on it.?

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

lol, well the bottle was made 1880 or after, lol missed that one, haha

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

SWR said:
Just a guess but I think this is a product of Dr. Peter Fahrney. Unlisted and quite possibly rare. Great find!

I would have never known to look for him...I was looking for a man with the last name of Peter. However, I did research on Dr. Fahrney and here's what I came up with. Most of the articles I did find were written in a German newspaper and I don't remember much of my German I learned as a kid. Wish I kept up with it...oh well :-\

Thanks for the tip SWR! :thumbsup:

Chong2...here's an article on Dr. Peter Fahrney:

Attachments

• 12-21-2008 6-38-13 AMb.jpg
    12-21-2008 6-38-13 AMb.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 433
  • 12-21-2008 6-38-13 AMa.jpg
    12-21-2008 6-38-13 AMa.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 440
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

Ron and Ann, thank you for that article. we are getting closer i think :) and swr, thank you for bringing that to light. after reading this post, i just put it in the safe 4 the time being, just in case ;)
again thank you all

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

sorry everyone, we had some issues with our net.here are some close ups, sorry the staining makes it difficult to photograph. k, i wrote mattsoldhouse.com and got a reply, here is what he said. seems u all were on the money, as for that book, im going to try to get it, hopefully there will be a illistration in there of this same bottle. so what do you all think, case closed ???

email
Hi, that bottle was one of Dr Peter Fahrney’s medicines out of Chicago.

You can read about some of his beginnings on my web site…

http://www.mattsoldhouse.com/MC/bottles/Frederick/fahrney.htm

Many in the Fahrney family were involved in patent medicines. Peter was certainly the most successful.

The Fahrneys came from the Mountains of Switzerland where they used local herbs for medicines.

I believe the plant on the bottle represents one of the medicinal plants. (looks a lot like an agave)

That bottle commemorates the family business. Those bottles are not as common as the other Chicago Fahrney bottles but are still fairly common.

Attachments

• CIMG7426.JPG
    CIMG7426.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 377
  • CIMG7415.JPG
    CIMG7415.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 384
  • CIMG7425.JPG
    CIMG7425.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 389

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I found an old medicine bottle last week with the cork still intact.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

any pics of it?

Top Member Reactions