Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Oh yeah. Good stuff. I love those buckles too. :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Nice Draped Bust largie, Jerry! The chance of a King George copper is high at that site. KG's were being dropped in the very early 1800s, so anything is possible. Keep it up, Jerry!

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure some nice finds. Shane :icon_thumright:

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Jerry. Glad to see we Ohioans are keeping up with the East Coast old coin finders.
SKD
Merry Christmas

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are proof that Ohio does have the early coppers. I agree, King George copper is next!

Kirk

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice largie :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry,

When the Draped Bust coppers start to pop up in states like Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana you know you are hunting the Oldest of the old sites.

All I can say is BIG Congratulations! You are at the top of your game, my friend.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wonderin when you were gonna pop back up with another premium coin. Awesome! I love to see midwest Coppers especially a Draped bust!. Go Buckeyes!

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Awesome coin, I hope you'll allow me to include it in the next issue of Ohio Metal Detecting Magazine. A lot of large cents have been turning up in Ohio this fall, so it will be a major feature of the issue. :headbang:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find. :icon_thumleft: Still on my list to find, like so many others. :D

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
BuckleBoy said:
Jerry,

When the Draped Bust coppers start to pop up in states like Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana you know you are hunting the Oldest of the old sites.

All I can say is BIG Congratulations! You are at the top of your game, my friend.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Well said Buckleboy

What I find humerous (and others too...they just don't put it in writing) is that the troop from PA has been going out of their way to post on any thread from this area concerning a LC to the effect of "see?...everyone is saying that old coins aren't in Ohio but here's PROOF that they are" BS....

NO ONE has stated (that I can recall...correct me if I am wrong) that large cents don't exist in Ohio (or any state for that matter)
The fact is that there are far fewer intact sites old enough to produce them than states east of Ohio. Most of the earliest sites in Ohio are in spots that are now near dead center on most major metro areas and are now under 3 ft of concrete. When speaking about the "C" coins, the odds drop off even further.
I don't know what their agenda really is...repeatedly stating something does not make it true. Nor does it help spread the "passion".
The first LC I found in Ohio was in fact a Draped Bust. Like Jerry's (nice coin jerry BTW) and, like Jerry's was worn smooth by the time it was lost.
My oldest coin, a 1792 Hibernia, was found at a site I stumbled on, and was surrounded by relics indicating a veteran of the War of 1812 moved to land in the Western Reserve as reparations for having their home burned down by the British in that war as they retreated. (hence the nickname of the Western Reserve as the "Firelands) That Hibernia was also worn so smooth it barely had aenough detail to ID.
Do you think that the odds are better to find one dropped in good shape in PA or Ohio?
Where would you go if you had your choice of states with the goal of finding the oldest large copper coin you could?
Let's say that researching to find a likely spot and gaining permission from the landowner is a given.
Ohio?
Kentucky?
Indiana?
PA?
Jersey?
CT?
NH?
NY?
etc...(don't feel like listing all of the original 13)

You tell me.

That is what make posts from members here like Don and Iron Patch et el stand out.
They know how to operate their machines well.
They obviously do the work to locate the early sites and gain permission.
They find the items that we all drool over.

And then they submit a post describing their hunt with sufficient detail to help the reader not only enjoy the post but relive the excitement of the find.

THAT is the epitome of class.

They do not go out of their way with chest thumping and repeated BS trying to what?....prove something that was never declared? (that LC's aren't in Ohio, etc)

I guess in a way though...it's this "BS" and such that I find so humerous that does keep me coming back to read posts! So maybe there IS an upside!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Danimal said:
BuckleBoy said:
Jerry,

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Well said Buckleboy

What I find humerous (and others too...they just don't put it in writing) is that the troop from PA has been going out of their way to post on any thread from this area concerning a LC to the effect of "see?...everyone is saying that old coins aren't in Ohio but here's PROOF that they are" BS....

NO ONE has stated (that I can recall...correct me if I am wrong) that large cents don't exist in Ohio (or any state for that matter)
The fact is that there are far fewer intact sites old enough to produce them than states east of Ohio. Most of the earliest sites in Ohio are in spots that are now near dead center on most major metro areas and are now under 3 ft of concrete. When speaking about the "C" coins, the odds drop off even further.
I don't know what their agenda really is...repeatedly stating something does not make it true. Nor does it help spread the "passion".
The first LC I found in Ohio was in fact a Draped Bust. Like Jerry's (nice coin jerry BTW) and, like Jerry's was worn smooth by the time it was lost.
My oldest coin, a 1792 Hibernia, was found at a site I stumbled on, and was surrounded by relics indicating a veteran of the War of 1812 moved to land in the Western Reserve as reparations for having their home burned down by the British in that war as they retreated. (hence the nickname of the Western Reserve as the "Firelands) That Hibernia was also worn so smooth it barely had aenough detail to ID.
Do you think that the odds are better to find one dropped in good shape in PA or Ohio?
Where would you go if you had your choice of states with the goal of finding the oldest large copper coin you could?
Let's say that researching to find a likely spot and gaining permission from the landowner is a given.
Ohio?
Kentucky?
Indiana?
PA?
Jersey?
CT?
NH?
NY?
etc...(don't feel like listing all of the original 13)

You tell me.

That is what make posts from members here like Don and Iron Patch et el stand out.
They know how to operate their machines well.
They obviously do the work to locate the early sites and gain permission.
They find the items that we all drool over.

And then they submit a post describing their hunt with sufficient detail to help the reader not only enjoy the post but relive the excitement of the find.

THAT is the epitome of class.

They do not go out of their way with chest thumping and repeated BS trying to what?....prove something that was never declared? (that LC's aren't in Ohio, etc)

I guess in a way though...it's this "BS" and such that I find so humerous that does keep me coming back to read posts! So maybe there IS an upside!

Dan, I'd appreciate it if you would stop bashing me, my uncle, and Kirk on this forum ever again. I do not negatively bring your name up in my posts and I'd appreciate it if you would do the same. I have nothing against you, and I'm telling the truth.

Life goes on and I have proven that many times. I hope you can realize that, Dan, because life is much more enjoyable when you can forgive and forget. In fact, I forgive you for anything nasty that you have said to me in an email or on an open forum.

Kirk and I have proven to the moderators and Marc that we are a positive influence on this forum. We will continue to be so for many years to come.

We are great ambassadors to this hobby (e.g., research, proper permission, responsible artifact preservation, detailed site documentation, etc.) and you are, too, Dan. We are as professional as they come; if you don't believe it, I can give you a list of our landowner references for you to find out. They all would agree that we, too, are the epitome of class.

Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread