Raver

Greenie
Jul 13, 2015
Lake Tahoe
Detector(s) used
BH 1100 // SS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN5318.JPG DSCN5319.JPG I am in a freshwater lake swingin' the BH 1100. Whether the black sand is wet or dry, it drives my MD insane w/false signals. The black sand is anywhere from 6" to 4". I have turned my sensitivity down as far as it will go....to no avail. Somehow, through some kind of miracle (and the chaotic constant false signals) I pulled a mercury and a '43 quarter. I am a newbie.....need help to negate this black sand...anyone?:BangHead:............PS: here are two pictures of the sand.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the conditions where pulse inductions or multiple frequency detectors shine. Two things you might try are setting the decriminalization high enough to eliminate the black sand and/or try a smaller coil that won't be reading so much of it. Or course these solutions may miss some targets and get less depth, but may be a help.
luvsdux

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the black sand that's around here. The black sand here comes from the tops of the hills from dead grass. That tells you that stuff has fallen off the hill top. Like coins or what ever. So you need to get a machine that works good in the black sand and water. If I remember right. Whites had a couple of good machines. Not water proof. And water is where it's at in most places. These were on the cheaper end of detectors and worked really well. Don't like that it needs battery's. But keep talking with people for idea's. Talk to some people about different machines. Once you get a machine that get's rid of that black sand noise. You will be loving life. My Deus is super great for the woods on older coins. But for the salt beaches I have my 30/30 and Excalibur. If you get a machine that does it all. Then most of the time it will pay for it's self with finds. My problem is that I keep buying detectors. Good luck

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no help with the black sand, sorry, but wanted to reply because you still managed to find a couple of nice silver coins, good job! It would be nice to see some pics of them when you have time to add them. Good luck, I hope you find a solution, it sounds like your black sand may be hiding some very nice finds!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm also in california mts.and man do those photos look just like what we have here.the fisher f2,my wifes 1st machine handles it fine.my at pro...no problem.but nearly every other machine I have used in last 20 years had alot of trouble unless you held the coil like 4"above it.so no depth,no fun,no love.It may be time to upgrade.

OP
OP
R

Raver

Greenie
Jul 13, 2015
Lake Tahoe
Detector(s) used
BH 1100 // SS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Sigh) yeah, gotta upgrade Bigfoot1. I switched from a 10" coil to the 7" and that helped ALOT! I appreciate all the advice guys TY! I am going to post pics of my finds in the last 5 days McClod

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread