Dream Find Today

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
After several years of searching, I finally found my first Spanish Piece of 8!!! :thumbsup:

pieceof8.jpg pieceof8rev.jpg

In addition, today I also found what I believe to be a gilded button from the same period and what I believe to be a Civil War era bullet nearby.

button1.jpg

all.jpg

If anyone has some good ideas on identification of the gilded button or bullet please let me know.

Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
PcolaBoy,

Congrats on a GREAT find. I would love to find a cut pistareen, but it probably won't happen much up here in PA. Those coins circulated heavily throughout the Tobacco Colonies (e.g., Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, etc.).

Now, get back out there and find us another one! :thumbsup:

Kyle

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Nice piece of eight!!! I just can't imagine the thrill of digging that thing up! Congrats!!!

Ray

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great FIND!! I haven't been detecting long enough to find anything that old here in Pensacola. Most of the good sites I've researched are all on Fed land. Heck I'm still trying to break the 1900's. I have been finding some good stuff in the Brownsville area, but nothing that old. I found a musket ball Thursday that may be real old but I have to get it checked? You have to PM me some time and maybe we can go hunt together. :thumbsup: Maybe you can show a new guy some new tricks. Anyway great find!!! :wav: :wav: HH BIGHEAD

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great treasure finds :headbang:

I'm surprised I'm the first to mention the totally appropriate piratical text remaining on the piece of eight.

AAAHHHAAHHHH, Me Hearties :icon_pirat: :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day and it might get even better. The gilt button is nice, but your other keeper in the post may be the plain button with the rim. Not being able to see that back I can't say for sure, but what it appears to be is an early to mid. 1700s French Colonial Marines button (Compagnies franches de la Marine) If you can't tell 100% by comparing the back of your button to the pics below post a close-up and i'll tell you one way or the other. Usually they are very dark out of the ground but maybe other factors can change that. I have a few near perfect examples.

PS.. Most found are missing the shank.

The Compagnies franches de la Marine, comprised of infantry under royal naval authority, formed the backbone of France's colonial military establishment in North America. While other French regular and colonial units served in the New World, no other forces served continuously or over such a vast territorial expanse. The classic button pattern worn by these troops from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico until the end of the French colonial period was a convex, rimmed, cast brass type exemplified by the specimens shown above. Until the 1730s, these buttons were made with integrally cast, slab-like shanks with drilled eyes similar to those in use by the Spanish military establishment at the time (upper left/Dauphine Island, Alabama). By the 1740s, the drilled eye form had been replaced by a similar form featuring a cast brass rimmed button body with an inverse staple-like copper or brass wire eye soldered or brazed to the button's back (upper right/Mobile, Alabama and Lake Champlain, New York).

http://www.artifacts.org/francepage.htm

Attachments

• French_Drilled_Shank.jpg
    French_Drilled_Shank.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 439
  • French_Wire_Shanks.jpg
    French_Wire_Shanks.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 438

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch said:
Great day and it might get even better. The gilt button is nice, but your other keeper in the post may be the plain button with the rim. Not being able to see that back I can't say for sure, but what it appears to be is an early to mid. 1700s French Colonial Marines button (Compagnies franches de la Marine) If you can't tell 100% by comparing the back of your button to the pics below post a close-up and i'll tell you one way or the other. Usually they are very dark out of the ground but maybe other factors can change that. I have a few near perfect examples.

The Compagnies franches de la Marine, comprised of infantry under royal naval authority, formed the backbone of France's colonial military establishment in North America. While other French regular and colonial units served in the New World, no other forces served continuously or over such a vast territorial expanse. The classic button pattern worn by these troops from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico until the end of the French colonial period was a convex, rimmed, cast brass type exemplified by the specimens shown above. Until the 1730s, these buttons were made with integrally cast, slab-like shanks with drilled eyes similar to those in use by the Spanish military establishment at the time (upper left/Dauphine Island, Alabama). By the 1740s, the drilled eye form had been replaced by a similar form featuring a cast brass rimmed button body with an inverse staple-like copper or brass wire eye soldered or brazed to the button's back (upper right/Mobile, Alabama and Lake Champlain, New York).

Great eye, IP. Do you have any pics of yours?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gilt button looks late 18th century - early 19th century.

Made me laugh that the cut quater on one side said 'RUM' 8) The drink of sailors & pirates!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Zoyboy said:
Iron Patch said:

Great eye, IP. Do you have any pics of yours?

Attachments

• mar1.jpg
    mar1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 355
  • mar2.jpg
    mar2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 351

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Those are fantastic finds. :thumbsup:

It looks like you have one-fourth of a 1/4 piece of 8. A whole 1/4 piece of 8 is a 2 Reale.

1 Reale 1/8 Piece of Eight
2 Reale 1/4 Piece of Eight
4 Reale 1/2 Piece of Eight
8 Reale 1 Piece of Eight
16 Reale 2 pieces of Eight

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread