Dream Mat in a Dahlke?

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im still slowly putting together a DSahlke 4b micro. Wondering if anyone has tried Dream Mat in one?
Dream mat works best with what I would consider low water flow. Reading their website says even their 12" large cell (not the dredge mat) is capable of being run by a bilge pump.
Does your Dsahlke (not sure if spelled right) run on less water than a standard dredge of its size rocking a high pressure pump? If I recall they have a different type of jet than keenes... that allow them to be ran on trash pumps... if that's the case Dream mat might be a good option.
Personally I think Dream mat works best in a clean up sluice, where you can classify and re-run the cons over and over and you arnt worried about loss. On the river, I want to catch everything while keeping a high tolerance for F**k-ups. Remember a .001 gram grain of black sand weighs more than a .0001 gram grain of gold.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im still slowly putting together a DSahlke 4b micro. Wondering if anyone has tried Dream Mat in one?
I would try contacting the makers directly and see if they have some user comments from dredgers about their dream dredge mat.....I didn't see any on line. Description sounds like it is not necessarily a low flow mat.

Good luck.

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Do you not have the stock riffles?
Thanks all.
I do have the stock riffles. I have never run this dredge yet, just working toward getting it togerther. It was bought for "future projects" so it has been on the back burner. It has the earlier of the dredge pumps Dahlke put on the 4"ers so a lillle smaller. It does NOT have the Dahlke jet. It was not with the dredge when I bought it & the owner never found it. I didnt expect he would (price was right), & my plan was to go with a 4" scution nozzle. Plan to use it in shallower small creeks with no air. Most of our local gold is smaller, but its a big state :-)

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all.
I do have the stock riffles. I have never run this dredge yet, just working toward getting it togerther. It was bought for "future projects" so it has been on the back burner. It has the earlier of the dredge pumps Dahlke put on the 4"ers so a lillle smaller. It does NOT have the Dahlke jet. It was not with the dredge when I bought it & the owner never found it. I didnt expect he would (price was right), & my plan was to go with a 4" scution nozzle. Plan to use it in shallower small creeks with no air. Most of our local gold is smaller, but its a big state :-)
Hmm. Well the original pumps for dhalke are trashpumps if I remember correctly and not the keene/proline hp style. Trash pumps don't tend to be optimal for standard suction nozzle, but who knows may work just fine so long as your length isn't too much, you said you were running shallow..
I'd look at getting the stock jet from ebay if you can, and are serious about running it as a 4in. Standard jets/suction nozzles tend to require a lot more ummph, and might provide too much water and velocity for the dhalkey system to handle, especially with our fine flour gold.
I get dream mat has a whole bunch of fans out there, but I'm just not one of them for on the creek. I'd stick to stock riffles or even expanded over moss with some kind of backing.

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Hmm. Well the original pumps for dhalke are trashpumps if I remember correctly and not the keene/proline hp style. Trash pumps don't tend to be optimal for standard suction nozzle, but who knows may work just fine so long as your length isn't too much, you said you were running shallow..
I'd look at getting the stock jet from ebay if you can, and are serious about running it as a 4in. Standard jets/suction nozzles tend to require a lot more ummph, and might provide too much water and velocity for the dhalkey system to handle, especially with our fine flour gold.
I get dream mat has a whole bunch of fans out there, but I'm just not one of them for on the creek. I'd stick to stock riffles or even expanded over moss with some kind of backing.
It is a keene/proline style high pressure pump, but a trash pump. GX120 motor with a DP-125 Pump. As I understand it they shortly went to a DP 150 pump with the same engine.
If I ever found a stock jet for it I would grab it in a heart beat. I want to try the stock riffles and maybe an expanded metal riffle system before I try the dream mat. If all else fails I have the 6hp Hona with P185 Keene of my 3" highbanker/dredge but its a LOT of extra weight.
20220923_103104-jpg.2048130

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never seen one of their dredges stock supplied with a trash pump.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is a keene/proline style high pressure pump, but a trash pump. GX120 motor with a DP-125 Pump. As I understand it they shortly went to a DP 150 pump with the same engine.
If I ever found a stock jet for it I would grab it in a heart beat. I want to try the stock riffles and maybe an expanded metal riffle system before I try the dream mat. If all else fails I have the 6hp Hona with P185 Keene of my 3" highbanker/dredge but its a LOT of extra weight.
20220923_103104-jpg.2048130
You can’t run a single eductor jet? Those dovetail riffles are sweet why would you want to replace them?!

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never seen one of their dredges stock supplied with a trash pump.
I should start over here. I think I was confused a bit.
in the picture is a Radial jet, which i was under the impression Dhalke used to use on their dredges.
it runs better on trash pumps.
how big is your box?
if your sluice is not 16'"wide, or at least flared out, it will run too much water on a standard jet @ 4", and for sure way too much water for dream mat.
If it's 16" or wider, I'd keep what you have as is and get her in the river as soon as you can.

Attachments

• 11061989_419636771546708_3793264178107588732_n.jpg
    11061989_419636771546708_3793264178107588732_n.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
You can’t run a single eductor jet? Those dovetail riffles are sweet why would you want to replace them?!
I wont replace them before I try them, but the smaller pump has me concerned about water volume or trhe lack of.
I could go with a readily available Keene power jet they are long and heavy so not as portable and stick down further requiring more water to float the dredge. I want to work small creeks. Im still trying to figure out which will do more on smaller pump like mine in shallow (-3"). A scution nozzle or a Keene style power jet.
Found this quote in 1 article"
-3”and 4” suction nozzle works at 106 GPM at 45 psi
-3” and 4” power jet runs at 180 GPM at 35 psi".
If that true then the suction nozzle is not only the simplest & cheapest answer, but also the most efficient.
Reed Lukens said the opposite is true & I have a lot of respect for reeds exoerience... So Im lost

I should start over here. I think I was confused a bit.
in the picture is a Radial jet, which i was under the impression Dhalke used to use on their dredges.
it runs better on trash pumps.
how big is your box?
if your sluice is not 16'"wide, or at least flared out, it will run too much water on a standard jet @ 4", and for sure way too much water for dream mat.
If it's 16" or wider, I'd keep what you have as is and get her in the river as soon as you can.
The 4b like I have is not the flared box but it is wide. 20" I believe. I would love to get it out go play but I need to figure out a jet/suction nozzle system first

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wont replace them before I try them, but the smaller pump has me concerned about water volume or trhe lack of.
I could go with a readily available Keene power jet they are long and heavy so not as portable and stick down further requiring more water to float the dredge. I want to work small creeks. Im still trying to figure out which will do more on smaller pump like mine in shallow (-3"). A scution nozzle or a Keene style power jet.
Found this quote in 1 article"
-3”and 4” suction nozzle works at 106 GPM at 45 psi
-3” and 4” power jet runs at 180 GPM at 35 psi".
If that true then the suction nozzle is not only the simplest & cheapest answer, but also the most efficient.
Reed Lukens said the opposite is true & I have a lot of respect for reeds exoerience... So Im lost

The 4b like I have is not the flared box but it is wide. 20" I believe. I would love to get it out go play but I need to figure out a jet/suction nozzle system first
The power jet definitely has more suction power. My only concern is if you do not have the water depth to run it, you'll lose prime. You might not have an option, but to go with the suction nozzle. I can't find the specs for your pump, but if that 125 number has any indication, I'd say it might just do the job for the nozzle. It sounds like weight is a concern of yours, understandably so, but a suction nozzle is probably gonna be your best bet, despite the extra hose. How deep can you go? is bedrock at 3" of depth? or it that where the material starts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread