dredge build

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
??? You bought a 4" but you want to swap back and forth to a 5 and 6"? It wont happen unless you add more pump/motor/floatation and sluice. Let alone you need a nozzle/hose and flare.

To answer you question, maybe center of gravity, lift to the pump would be a big one, it would cost them a few hundred more to do it so they would have to charge a few thousand more and they prolly don't think they can get suckers er I mean customers to pay. In realality it would more then likely adversely effect performance and also be a real pain in the ass to clean the sluice with a motor in the way!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question. I just bought a used Keene 4". Now I want a swap back and forth 5 to 6". I will start building it soon. I'd like to sit the motor/pump more towards the center over the sluice and have a longer sluice box. I'm guessing since none of the manufactured dredges are made this way that its a bad idea, but why?

NEver, never put the engine over the box. Oil / fuel dripping into the box will ruin your ability to catch gold below that point,

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
??? You bought a 4" but you want to swap back and forth to a 5 and 6"? It wont happen unless you add more pump/motor/floatation and sluice. Let alone you need a nozzle/hose and flare. To answer you question, maybe center of gravity, lift to the pump would be a big one, it would cost them a few hundred more to do it so they would have to charge a few thousand more and they prolly don't think they can get suckers er I mean customers to pay. In realality it would more then likely adversely effect performance and also be a real pain in the ass to clean the sluice with a motor in the way!
One more thing is you will need the engine in the front to balance the unit ! You have to rember that while running it your box will be full of gravels and sand ,lead and hopefully gold !
There's a reason the builders put the engines up there .. I'd tell ya to use it and spend at least a year with it befor you go building something !

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys, that last post is already up once, have no idea how it is here too, maybe getting a bit senile and forgot I'd already put it up . Doesn't matter any more, I talked to Mark Keene about it and he said it didn't really matter, I'd need to split off the outlet to feed the jet.

As far as the build I say go for it. I did my own version of the monster hog and could have probably bought a new one for about the same price, but wouldn't get nearly the satisfaction of running equipment I made. Yes I wasted material, I could open a small plumbing supply store with all the stuff I thought I might need. But in the end I wound up with something I like better, like having my water come up and over from the side instead of the back where the rocks come out. Mine is in 2 pieces instead of three and doesn't stack inside itself, but I'm pushing 60 and not toting equipment up any game trails and Mine goes together in about one minute. Point is mines not better but it is for me. I bout a used 4" dredge to get me going but looking forward to my 6" build. I'm going to take my time, ask a lot of questions, and find everything I can on how other did thiers to keep mistakes to a minimum. Big difference on this projects. Mistakes on it could actually cost me serious amounts of money and sleep. I can see it now in my head, cant wait to see it slid into a creek. Guys here are a lot of help, and I thank them all

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing you may want to consider... A 6" dredge is going to be very heavy. Look at keene or proline and how much they weigh. I'm assuming you have seen my threads and are going to watch its progress...my estimated weight is around 400 pounds dry. I hade helped my bud take his dredge to and from the water twice. Holy crap that is a lot of work. Let's talk hose weight.. I think its 4 pounds a foot then you have water current pushing against it and you...I don't think you realize what your in for. I'm 43 and did consider myself in good shape till the other day. We had 3 guys getting a 6" up a small embankment.. No sluice or hose and we struggled... Your 60...your risk is much higher for a stroke... Not trying to be rude.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
dont listen to any of these guys!!! as a person over 60, we always bring young guys to do the lifting and we sit back and SUPERVISe these guys!hahaha just hand them another cold beer!!hahaha well thats how its supposed to work!:)

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
One thing you may want to consider... A 6" dredge is going to be very heavy. Look at keene or proline and how much they weigh. I'm assuming you have seen my threads and are going to watch its progress...my estimated weight is around 400 pounds dry. I hade helped my bud take his dredge to and from the water twice. Holy crap that is a lot of work. Let's talk hose weight.. I think its 4 pounds a foot then you have water current pushing against it and you...I don't think you realize what your in for. I'm 43 and did consider myself in good shape till the other day. We had 3 guys getting a 6" up a small embankment.. No sluice or hose and we struggled... Your 60...your risk is much higher for a stroke... Not trying to be rude.

Now your talking :P

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dam omni doesn't matter how he takes it that's kinda rough ...
Hell I know a lot of 60 year old men that get around pretty dam good a lot of them better than me!

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey I'm sorry if I offended him or anyone. Thing have taken a turn for the worst here at the hospital and been slowly getting worse. I haven't slept well in days. My judgment may have been affected in how I have been responding. I'm sorry. It may be best if I step away for now. Sorry

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Hey I'm sorry if I offended him or anyone. Thing have taken a turn for the worst here at the hospital and been slowly getting worse. I haven't slept well in days. My judgment may have been affected in how I have been responding. I'm sorry. It may be best if I step away for now. Sorry

Wish you the best to you and your family .. I know how it feels. Ill keep you in my prayer , hopefully everything will turn out okay.

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kind of going at this like a guy building a hot rod. I am being weight conscious but mine will have some added weight like aluminum tread plate over the floats for sweetie to sit on, she's a little bitty thang, a cooler on the other side will about counterbalance. G1 has got me looking at water heaters to mount during the cold months, probably going to up the motor and pump one size, copying one of the Keenes that will suck rocks from a foot or more away. of course i'll need to widen and lengthen the sluice a tad. Anyway, you're right, it's not going to be light, but if I can get within 125' of the water I can wheel it down and electric wench it up. If need be I'll take the 4". I still take stairs two at a time but I'm not planning on carrying this thing anywhere. As far as me being closer to a stroke mathematically you're absolutely correct. Don't sweat it, no big deal. I'm not building one because I can do it better, and not completely to save money, I will enjoy the build almost as much as the using. I will definitely enjoy using one more that I built.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions