Dredge heater

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What engine are you running I have plans for a old school briggs may be able to adapt for honda dont know.

Here are some links for you
http://www.goldgold.com/cold-water-dredging.html
http://www.iowagold.com/how_to_build_wet_suit_heater.htm

Pay Very close attention to warnings a wetsuit full of steam will ruin your day.
Here are some pics of mine I run a tee off the pump then to the heater.Mine is a commercial heater with thermostat and mixing tank with steam relief.It works great I have seen them on Ebay from $100.00 to $800.00 mine was on dredge when I bought it.The phone number on the heater is 209-966-2068. I have never seen any info online on them.Some of the guys from Cali might have more info for you.
CIMG0174.jpg CIMG0179.jpg CIMG0176.jpg CIMG0180.jpg CIMG0177.jpg

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....as said......a kinked hose and scalding hot water shot down yer shorts will make ya attempt to crawl out yer skin!!!The last time it happed to me,my heater got sold

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
....as said......a kinked hose and scalding hot water shot down yer shorts will make ya attempt to crawl out yer skin!!!The last time it happed to me,my heater got sold

Ouch Yep! - Or when the pump shuts down and you don't reallize it. :BangHead:

Need one this time a year, up on the mountain claims.
That excludes some of us, like Bill, he can probably dredge in his shorts. 8-)

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scalding is what the mixing tank prevents. By utilizing at least a 1/2 gallon to 2 gallon mixer tank it takes quite a bit of time to heat up that volume of water so old school setup scalding is prevented. With newer wetsuits made with closed foam technology I never even have had to use my heater in the last 6 years as plenty warm already. You must wear a few extra pounds of lead but that's great to me as eliminating the extra line attached to my regulator is definately more preferable and KISS is always best-- John

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even with a mixing tank I have no kink pvc airhose I use for the water and if the water starts getting hot I pull the line out of suit and look for the problem.

OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
Dammit I need me a heater. I just found me a lead on some pa gold

W4MRK

Greenie
Dec 16, 2012
Kernersville, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got my heater Don & Dee Stapp of Stapp mining. It came with no kink hose and a mixing chamber. I have the tubing sewn to my hooded vest so it is between my hooded vest and wetsuit so if it ever spews scalding water, my skin is protected. I rarely use the heater, and agree with John, if you have the right suit, you can save the money on the heater.

OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
I have a 7mm wetsuit I got for an amazing deal ($200) and its warm as all hell but I wore it diving in 50 degree temps and I was still getting cold. Not unpleasantly cold but cold enough to know I need a heater if I want to go diving in the winter

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 7mm wetsuit I got for an amazing deal ($200) and its warm as all hell but I wore it diving in 50 degree temps and I was still getting cold. Not unpleasantly cold but cold enough to know I need a heater if I want to go diving in the winter
I wear a 5 Mil,under a 8 Mil.

W4MRK

Greenie
Dec 16, 2012
Kernersville, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is your 7mm a one piece or 2 piece? The 2 piece gives a double layer of protection around your core area and makes a huge difference. Add a hooded vest to the equation and you have 3 layers of protection. A semi-dry suit is even better, but you have to have one one that fits properly for it to work.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. And how is the constriction
None........as said I wear 60 lbs of lead

Yea,Dave no kidding!!!!Especially when your down 20 + ft.!

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a 2 pc 7mil Farmer John with a seperate hood.That puts 14mil over my core.I wear 45ibs of lead.The heater pushes water into my gloves boots and hood.Only go 5-6 ft down.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To facilitate water distribution within your suit simple use a t from irrigation hose-the inlet to the top--add 6" of auto emmision hose to the arms of the t to feed your arms and about a foot to the bottom of the t to feed the legs. You look like the pillsbury doughboy when ya gey outta the water--but when it's all nice and warm water it rocks-- :headbang: John

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To facilitate water distribution within your suit simple use a t from irrigation hose-the inlet to the top--add 6" of auto emmision hose to the arms of the t to feed your arms and about a foot to the bottom of the t to feed the legs. You look like the pillsbury doughboy when ya gey outta the water--but when it's all nice and warm water it rocks-- :headbang: John

This is what I did,and had the T on my back with my air hose,and a main valve on my chest so I could shut it down.Never had much issue with tangle.OK,there has only been a couple times,I have had to go 20',they were in the huge cavernous limestone crevices we often encounter here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread