Dredge Hose Ideas ? ? ?

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Well, unfortunately I need new suction hose for my dredge. I've been looking around and came across this and am curious on how it would do on a dredge. It's called Black Knight Hose and is used for duct cleaning. It's only $390 for 25' of 8", highly flexible, and really light (25ft of 8" weighs 45 lbs.)
8_black_knight.jpg

Here's what it says on the website.

Polythene rib on the outside instead of wire (helix). Will not ovalize as hose with wire (helix) does.
Smooth inside which tremendously increases air flow over other hoses with wire.
Innertube made from E.P.D.M. rubber, which remains flexible in cold weather.
Durability - contractors have reported driving over this hose without damaging it.
Weight - 60lbs/25 feet for 10"
46 lbs./25 feet for 8"
40 lbs/25 feet for 6"
“When it comes to durability, ease of handling, high air flow, this is by far the best duct cleaning hose I have ever seen. We have been selling this hose for 13 years now and to the best of my knowledge, all of it is still in use today.”
Brent Ferns, President

What do you guys think? Would it handle the suction of a 8" dredge?

Supposedly these duct cleaning fans move about 15000 cfm and create pretty strong suction.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Heres a video that has a guy standing on the hose. My 8" is sun baked and probably isn't close to a new 8" so I can't really compare. Any one have any opinions?

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oragonads
duct cleaning tells me everything i need to know about this hose,
its light, meaning thin-wall and a 8" maybe it will hold up to the suction certainly not the cobble
I am alwys looking for a deal on hose but i like to know where the plug is
lot like work boots, i see the guys buying the $30 pair and getting a new pair again about three months later

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thin wall of this hose would be my concern as well...Oragonads

There's nothing like experimenting ... find out for yourself.... but I think, when you get a sharp flat rock or two to "butterfly" on you... after a few attempts to remove the clog will weaken the hose wall...and eventually cause a hole to be punctured in it...not counting just the basic friction of the moving sand and gravel... It is the moving water and sand that makes very hard rough stones and rocks into totally round, non-angular rocks and stones....just think of what it will do the the thin walls of your suggested hose...Plus, with a clear hose.. a plug is visible...

There is a reason that Dredge manufactures sell their dredges with a much more expensive hose than the one you are suggesting...especially in a bad economy when every dollar might make the difference in a sale or not..

But best of good luck to you.. experiment and see what happens for yourself.. maybe you run into something that works for you, but not for the mass marketing..

Good luck..

Klondike...

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
new to the dredging scene but i have an idea (im sure has been thought of), has anyone ever thought of buying the cheaper hose and coating the inside wall with some sort of material/epoxy of some sort that could stand up to the abuse (if so even exists) and of course would have to be in a liquid state before drying so it can be ran through the inside of the hose to coat it. Just an idea... not meaning to thread-jack

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
prospectordamon said:
new to the dredging scene but i have an idea (im sure has been thought of), has anyone ever thought of buying the cheaper hose and coating the inside wall with some sort of material/epoxy of some sort that could stand up to the abuse (if so even exists) and of course would have to be in a liquid state before drying so it can be ran through the inside of the hose to coat it. Just an idea... not meaning to thread-jack

I can't think of any kind of tough material to coat the inside of a hose other then bedliner. But that would probably chip off when you bend the hose. If not it would probably stiffen it up a bunch. It would be a huge pain to coat the inside of a 20-30 foot hose evenly and thick enough.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey Oragon

since this is a really flex able hose
would this idea work for ya don't know your working conditions (deep, Shallow, crash box, jet flair, crane, d-9 LOL
Run a solid ABS or PVC from the dredge to the working area and run maybe 10 ft of this hose, when it wares out just replace hose, Maybe?

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
2cmorau said:
hey Oragon

since this is a really flex able hose
would this idea work for ya don't know your working conditions (deep, Shallow, crash box, jet flair, crane, d-9 LOL
Run a solid ABS or PVC from the dredge to the working area and run maybe 10 ft of this hose, when it wares out just replace hose, Maybe?

My claim varies in depth. I've got a huge gravel bar on a bend just below where the old timers had what appeared to be blast a big chunk into the hillside, my guess is they were after a vein. The creek then flows out of that bend into a wide long straight shallow area that runs into a small pool and bends slightly again. Goes through a series of swooping bends and a few pools. Another gravel bar on bend and dumps into a deep pool near the bottom of my claim.

That is a good idea but that place only sells the hose in 25 ft lengths. I don't like moving the dredge up creek often so an extra 10-20' of rigid pvc is a good idea to extend my dredging capabilities before moving the dredge up.

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
I have used something very similar to that hose. it had the wire rib and was smooth Inside. it lasted a couple of months then needed to be replaced. I would not run a 25 foot hose. cut it in half and have 2. the main problem is a rock plug on the nozzle. the hose compresses and pulls you backwards real fast and is dangerous as hell. the positive is you can move the hose around with one hand. you are not near as tired at the end of the day. that means more time sucking gravel.

bill-cr

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
bill-costa rica said:
I have used something very similar to that hose. it had the wire rib and was smooth Inside. it lasted a couple of months then needed to be replaced. I would not run a 25 foot hose. cut it in half and have 2. the main problem is a rock plug on the nozzle. the hose compresses and pulls you backwards real fast and is dangerous as hell. the positive is you can move the hose around with one hand. you are not near as tired at the end of the day. that means more time sucking gravel.

bill-cr

I might get some and try it out. So you didn't have any problems with it compressing during normal suction, just when you got a rock plugged on the nozzle?

That rapid and dangerous compression could help loosening a rock jam in the hose though :hello2:, or it could cause that rock to bust a hole through :icon_scratch:

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
the dredge had fairly low suction and was a 10 inch. it would not compress unless there was a plug. pulling on the hose would help with the plugs. not a big problem with holes. duct tape does wonders

bill-cr

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
bill-costa rica said:
your hose that you have looks like it should work fine, why waste the money on different hose ?

bill-cr

The hose I have now is extremely stiff and is starting to crack. I guess its been sitting outside in the sun for a few years now.

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
that hose new was stiff, by the looks of that picture it doesn´t look sun burnt and it is for suction not pressure, I would run it till it breaks. kanaflex hose tuff stuff

bill-cr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread