Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only a year old Honda
Probably has 20-30 hours on it, oils been changed frequently being a new engine
Recently the engine doesn't want to stay running on idle ( throttle at minimum ).
When I give it a little throttle it dies unless I go past half throttle then it seems to run well.
Any tips please would be appreciated.
It is not bad gas or a dirty air filter and the spark plug is clean and gapped correctly.
I believe somethings wrong with fuel system somehow?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jet in carb is dirty. There is a long jet in the carb that has a bunch of holes they have a tendency to get gummed up if you run ethanol fuel or if it sits with fuel in it. Carb cleaner and a fine wire to clean out holes and your good to go.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep! I had that same problem with my Honda 6.5 H.P. and it was the fuel getting gummed up. I cleaned it out and I NOW store all my gas engines with True Fuel and I run it and then turn the fuel valve off until it dies because of lack of fuel. this works everytime and im never having any fuel related problems from now on! I was told that the fuel in the Mid-west was the worst fuel in the Country.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i drain the gas and run dry all my small engines, it's a good way to insure they all run next time i need them.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may also want to switch to non Ethanol Fuel. Many small engines with Alum Carbs will have a tendency to not run well after prolonged use of Ethanol Fuel.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may also want to switch to non Ethanol Fuel. Many small engines with Alum Carbs will have a tendency to not run well after prolonged use of Ethanol Fuel.
Only a year old Honda
Probably has 20-30 hours on it, oils been changed frequently being a new engine
Recently the engine doesn't want to stay running on idle ( throttle at minimum ).
When I give it a little throttle it dies unless I go past half throttle then it seems to run well.
Any tips please would be appreciated.
It is not bad gas or a dirty air filter and the spark plug is clean and gapped correctly.
I believe somethings wrong with fuel system somehow?

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ethanol is corrosive, up here in HN. we have crappy gas also. I have found that if I use the additive for alcohol like the sta-bil brand and leave the gas on so the carb doesn't dry out no problems. When the alcohol evaporates it turn into white powder inside the carb that's what gums up the works when you go to use it next season. Trust me had the carb apart on my 4-wheeler to many times for the same reason. Don't use it much now I leave the gas on no more problems.

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks so much
Any ideas where I can find instructions on cleaning the jet/carb?
I'm a younger guy and don't know much about things not fuel injected.
You guys rock and if nobody's told you lately, hope you find a huge nugget from karma

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
get a can of carb cleaning spray. remove the bowl on the bottom of the carb.remove the float so you don't bend or damage it. unscrew the jet and spray the carb and jet holes several times and let it soak inbetween spraying it. then use a air compressor to blow it out and give it another squirt of carb cleaner or let it soak in a carb cleaning solution and again spray it out with air. and next time use some gas stabilizer and turn your fuel off while running your engine and let it die on its own when done using it for the week or season. once you get into a habit of doing this your carb problems are over!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing I will suggest , is if you have a small airport around buy yourself some aviation gas and mix it 50/50 with the ethanol gas , I run strait av gas in my high performance offroad motorcycles , works great .

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you live in Nor-Cal (Redding) Northern Lights has unleaded non ethanol fuel for sale.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When storing your gas powered equipment of any kind...
Turn off gas cock valve IF it has one...
Then start engine and run until it dies from gas starvation.

Also good to unscrew the "bowl drain" on the bottom of the carb to remove any fuel that MAY still be inside.

IF storing for extended period of time... remove ALL gas from tank... carb and let air dry.
Then reseal and store.

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definately a dirty jet situation , not a float situation , The floats main purpose is to meter the fuel in the bowl at the corect hight in the bowl for the jets to pick up . If the engine won't idle than its low speed jets , If it won't run out at high speed , or the engine runs out , hot at high speed [ IE lean Condition ] , then it's the high speed jet . I can get into a lot more but , this is the simple version , I have very deep experience with carbs .

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other reason I like aviation fuel , is that it already has the long term storage inhibitors already in it . I like to fly too , I've been thinking about getting my pilot licience , I miss going with a buddy of mine that had his .

polekaat

Jan 5, 2006
Ramah, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II
Technetics G2+
5" keene dredge
2 1/2" keene highbanker/dredge combo
Keene A-52 sluice
4 Stack Deluxe Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry none in New England , atleast I have'nt found any yet .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread