Dredge Nozzle + line questions

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a jobe hopper with a 7hp 2inch pump that i use with my 38" yellow jacket sluice. I want to be able to suction dredge with this setup but overall im confused on what i need to make this work. I know that the suction nozzle creates a vacuum and you need a separate line to run directly to the hopper. Do i attach the nozzle to the 2" suction line and then run a 1.5" lay flat line from the nozzle to the hopper? Do you guys recommend a place to buy a nozzle for cheap? Any advice/help would be appreciated.

thanks

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
need more info on the pump to be able to give a answer. and yes! for a suction nozzel you run a hipressure water line to the nozzel and and return line to the hopper. suction nozzel for cheap??keep a watch on craigslist. every now and then one pops up.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget layflat as nuttn' but a pain in the arse. Save a few bucks but lament forever.Make/model/gpm/psi/size in and out,hi pressure-clean water or trash pump?? required on that pump to fully answer them questions- John

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we need more info. As to the layflat, HJ is correct (as usual). Layflat is only for moving water from a pump output over a long distance to another location away from the water, such as highbanking a few hundred feet away from the creek.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that pump will work, no do not try building a PVC nozzle. The downside to that pump is that it is MUCH larger and heavier than a true dredge motor/pump combo. Spend the money to buy a professionally made one. PVC nozzles are just all around bad.

Last edited:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jason is right the trash pumps are heavy and most will not run more than a 2 inch nozzle.I use one it runs the 2 inch suction nozzle well but on the 2.5 nozzle lots of hose plugs not enough pressure with those pumps.You will need pressure hose to run the nozzle layflat just plain sucks to use.Look on craigslist and ebay for a nozzle I bought mine new for around $110.00.From Gold Rush Trading Post.Run what you got and find enough to upgrade.Happy Hunting

OP
OP
N

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Currently I run a 2" non lay flat line to the creek as a suction hose for my highbanker. Do I just attach a 2" suction nozzle to my 2" line? I Just want to make sure i get the right size nozzle. I also already have 1.5" lay flat hosing so i will use that until it breaks. Are there any online shops based in california where i can buy the nozzle?

Thanks again for all the help.

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, this is one option that you could do. You put your pumps outlet into the smaller line and below that goes back to the sluice box.

image-2337383594.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if my suction line is 2" i need a 2.5" suction nozzle?

No. If your dredge/highbanker input is 2 inch, you need a 2 inch nozzle, which SHOULD be necked down to about 1-3/4" at the tip. You also have to make sure your nozzle's pressure input is the same size as the output from or dredge. If it's smaller you will have to have a reducer, but you are better off if you can match up the hose sizes without adapters.

As for layflat, the problem isn't about the hose breaking it's about kinking. It is far too flexible and subject to kinking and stopping your water flow. But yes, they are also much more susceptible to being cut on rocks when you move it around so much. Layflat hose was meant to be a stationary method of transporting water from a pump, not for powering things.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry did you just say you are in Cali if so do not I repeat do not try and dredge big fines loss of equipment and maybe jail if you are caught.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry did you just say you are in Cali if so do not I repeat do not try and dredge big fines loss of equipment and maybe jail if you are caught.

Maybe he's planning on bringing it to Oklahoma where it's still legal. :laughing7:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow: SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY WHAT a green nozzle?? Is that to pacify the environutz?? what a hoot as never seen in over 42+ years a gravel suckn'-John

OP
OP
N

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dont worry, I just want to add a 2" suction nozzle to my mining equipment collection. Looks great on the wall you know.

PS- STILL cannot find a 2" suction nozzle

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, if you want attach that nozzle as a "complete display" of what a 2 inch dredge would look like... that Keene 2" nozzle has an 1 - 1/4" pressure intake. That means your 2 inch water pump output needs a reducer. Make sure that reducer is at the nozzle, not the pump, so that you get the most water flow from it.

MikeMike

Nov 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Rosewind Mining supply. They have a complete kit. Or they can show you the pieces individually. You need to be careful if you make your pressure line or your suction line Line longer than what they recommend cause you will throw your suction power off. It is a fine balance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread