Dredge pump seal

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, so as a matter of habit I always run a garden hose into the dredge pump intake and run it for a half hour or so before I head out to go dredge, just to make sure everything is good to go.

Last week as I was preparing to go dredge for a week, I followed my ritual and discovered a blown pump seal was slinging water everywhere....glad I tested it. I had a spare and it was a good excuse to change the compressor belt so I tore it down and went through everything.

The rubber skirt that connects the ceramic seal face to the brass part had completley tore in half, all the way around. It was like the rubber had deteriorated. This was a very curious failure considering I had replaced this very seal only 3 years prior. I would expect at least decade of run time on something like this.

Any ideas why this rubber failed so quickly?
Is there a way to preserve it during storage?
I was planning on dousing it with WD-40 from the outside but I would like to hear opinions.

Upvote 0

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an answer to your question but I had the same problem with a brand new seal that was installed last winter and did not get use until the middle of the summer.
Are you running a Proline pump?

Wes

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check foot valve as should not use new BIG hole style,laid in sand and sucked it up and instant grind to death. WD40 is composed of Chlorinated hydrocarbons that eat plastic,rubber as made specifically for metal. Silicone gel is what the well folks use. These stinkn' new footvalve screens with 1/2 holes kill seals,pumps extremely fast,put fv in a bucket,bungee to dredge frame anything to keep'r clean-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread