OP
OP
S

(SilverPirate)

Greenie
Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok what about the nozzle i see some 2-1/2 nozzles the are powered with 1-1/2'' and some that are 1-1/4'' which is better for the 2-1/2'' nozzle?

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Blue layflat hose works for pressure and is easy to roll up and carry. Think I can get 50' or so into a 5 gal bucket. Consider using 10-15' of ribbed hose for pressure where it connects to the suction nozzle since it doesn't kink.

I used a threaded a PVC valve big enough to maintain pressure hose ID with a wye for blaster nozzle attached to the suction nozzle. Makes it easier to cut pressure to clear jams when you get them.

I can't run the blaster nozzle while using the suction nozzle since I wasn't born with 3 hands, and it takes 2 hands to run the suction nozzle to keep from getting jams since I dredge by feel in shallow muddy puddles and will never ever use one of those stupid nozzle screens.

Also consider a flare and keep it low for better suction and no grizzly bars to mess with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

(SilverPirate)

Greenie
Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK getting some great info … What should the length of my 2-1/2'' hose be ? from info i see it looks like anywhere from 16-20', Also i know a 2'' trash pump isn't the best and you want a pump with at least 90psi but can you get away with using 2'' a trash pump with a 2-1/2'' nozzle?? has anyone tried it?

Last edited:

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I am a miner on a budget so this is my setup for dredge/highbanker. I run a 2" Harbor Freight clear water pump rated for 50+ PSI. I made a 6" adapter coming off the pump to reduce from 2" to 1 1/2". Here is where my budget comes into play. I purchased a 30' length of 1 1/2" pool hose and adapted that for use as my supply line. The connection on my 2 1/2" suction nozzle is 1 1/4" so I had to adapt the other end of the pool hose to fit that. I will be adding some camlock quick connectors soon. My 2 1/2" hose off the suction nozzle is 14-15'. I have another 14-15' length of hose I can add on if necessary but I have to make sure I have a tight seal at the joint and add a reducer on the tip of the nozzle to avoid plug ups. At half throttle, I get plenty of suction to work with. At full throttle, well, it really moves the material.

OP
OP
S

(SilverPirate)

Greenie
Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your info i was planning on using the pool hose as well.I can't use that trash pump from harbor freight because I'm limited to 5hp, but I've found a clone online. this is my first ''build ''dredge high banker and I'm so looking forward to getting out there and trying it out. just trying to get this right the first time , its a 4 hour drive to get to that gold .

SierraMadre

Mar 29, 2015
Tex
Detector(s) used
Mine.lab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1 1/2" or 2" hose will both work. 1 1/2" a little handier to use. The lay-flat hose can be a pain in the neck because of kinking unless you can keep it stretched out straight but it does roll up compact. 20' is usually plenty. If its lays-flat the longer it is the harder it is to keep it from kinking. You can try the thing out at home before you make the 4 hour drive. Fill up the bathtub and see how well it sucks the water out of it

OP
OP
S

(SilverPirate)

Greenie
Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can any one tell me what angle should i be at on my high banker /dredge running as a dredge i have a 2-1/2 nozzle 6ft x 12'' box ?????

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, can't help it. I suspect it is a typo, but while I am not sure which "angel" should be on your dredge, Saint Barbara is the patron saint of miners.

Patron Saint of Miners.PNG

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 inch drop per foot of sluice so the end of a 6 foot sluice should be 6 inch's lower than the top
for a dredge with a jet flair that push's the water that should have very little slope to it
for me the layflat hose lasted longer than that Blue hose because it is not tolerant of heat or cold
the stuff I had after a few weeks just a scuff and it would split. it easy to fix though with
gray ABS connectors, hose clamps and a pan of boiling water to make the hose soft

OP
OP
S

(SilverPirate)

Greenie
Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yesterday was the first time out with my 2-1/2" dredge. I'm running a GX160 Honda motor with a North Star 90 psi pump. Well to all those out there trying to do your project on a budget don't waste your money or time using 1-1/2'' pool hose it will just stretch and blow out and the ''lay flat'' hose will blow too unless its straight all the time which is damn near impossible. Your dealing with high pressure so use the right hose. (live and learn) The motor ran great, I did have to run it at 3/4 throttle in order to get enough suction on the nozzle. I hope by me running smooth hose and only about 20 ft vs the 35 ft of pool hose I can get the engine down to 1/2 throttle. I can't tell you how much less work it is to dredge. Besides the set up and hauling of the equipment it beats a shovel any-day. Theres no going back once you have used a dredge. As for gold, a few colors. Not much because of the learning curve involved with dredging and hose issues . Next time I'll get her done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread